SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   The Social Anxiety Room (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Internet dating sites (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=54015)

Kitri 20th April 2011 11:15

Internet dating sites

The purpose of this thread is to give members an opportunity to discuss the obstacles that internet dating can provide and to use it for relevant advice and support. We kindly ask members to keep following guidelines in mind when using this thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAQ
Advertisements or links for the purpose of dating are not permitted on the public forums. Posts/threads discussing dating (dating sites in particular) will be reviewed on a case by case basis, and will be removed at the Moderators' discretion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAQ
Posts should be as inclusive as possible and not appear to exclude members of the board. To this end, we kindly ask that all users post in English and, where possible, use the PM feature for personal messages. Personal messages within threads may be deleted, at the Moderators' discretion, if they are deemed to exclude other members.

Please do not mention the usernames of, or post any links to/pictures of, any profile on any dating site. Slagging off and making fun of profiles on dating sites is not on and will not be tolerated. Please do not post a link to, or mention the username of, any profile from a dating site on this board. Profile pictures of oneself are allowed to be posted for the purpose of asking for advice on those pictures though, and you can copy or rephrase parts of your profile for advice on wording and so on from others here. And once again, please make use of the PM system if it's a more private conversation between two members only.

Thanks again :)

UkG 20th April 2011 12:40

Re: Internet dating sites

Well I give up on internet dating, I cannot be bothered with having to go through the same stages each time, the same initial conversation, then the phonecall, then the worry of whether they'll look like their picture, whether you get on etc.

I had a date last night, stunning girl, definitely the nicest looking girl I've been on a date with just missing something though

Wheelie Bin Bird 20th April 2011 13:15

Internet dating is the worst....Full of kooks and weirdos. I much prefer the old fashond style of dating. :smug:

UkG 20th April 2011 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomin (Post 1240584)
^ I know that feeling (something's missing :/).

Where'd you meet her?

We met at TGI for a drink, there was nothing wrong with her, no awkward silences and we had things in common, but it just didn't feel right.

I much prefer meeting people in person because to be honest online I've found I might be drawn to a certain type of person but when I meet them I realise that had it not been for a dating site, I would never be drawn to them in person.

In person I like that someones personality can draw you in, whereas online it's more looks.

Funnily enough in person looks don't really do it, infact even if someone technically looks good, if they have a bad personality they look ugly to me.

UkG 20th April 2011 15:37

Ok pof is now deleted, my last resort is ok cupid.

Am I right in assuming that the only real free alternative is okcupid?

Despite what I've said about internet dating I'm trying one last time.

diplodocus 20th April 2011 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by UkG (Post 1240630)
I much prefer meeting people in person because to be honest online I've found I might be drawn to a certain type of person but when I meet them I realise that had it not been for a dating site, I would never be drawn to them in person.

In person I like that someones personality can draw you in, whereas online it's more looks.

Funnily enough in person looks don't really do it, infact even if someone technically looks good, if they have a bad personality they look ugly to me.

I can totally relate to this. If you don't click then it doesn't matter how good looking they are and there is only so much you can get from a profile.

Wings 20th April 2011 18:32

i think match.com is the other popular site. not sure if they have the offer anymore but it used to be if you don't find love in 6 months they give you another 6 months for free

i don't like okcupid that much because i think the % rating system limits people

UkG 20th April 2011 18:36

Match.com is a paid site though isn't it?

And I would never pay anything in the hope of meeting someone.

I have to say I find pof an Cupid are extreme opposites, pof is full of Slags, chavs and single mums.

Cupid is full of intellectuals and goths.

I have nothing against any of the above but I don't fit into any of the above.

Defiance 20th April 2011 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by UkG (Post 1240720)

I have to say I find pof an Cupid are extreme opposites, pof is full of Slags, chavs and single mums.

that what puts me off going on there. I very much doubt i'd appeal much to them sorts of women, and tbh intellectuals and goths don't appeal that much to me either.

Wings 20th April 2011 18:50

Quote:

yeah but if you buy someone a drink/pay for a meal, you're sort of "paying to meet someone" isn't it?

okcupid standards are somewhat higher i think. there was a guy who messaged me and on his profile he specified his preference as "you will have 700+ photos tagged on facebook" :confused:

wlien 20th April 2011 19:07

Rather than dating sites I've moved to chat rooms, I use www.ukchatterbox.co.uk, I can talk to girls in the chat room and get to know them in a non-threatening way. UKChatterbox shoes who is male and who is female and there are local rooms for each city/town.

UkG 20th April 2011 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defiance (Post 1240723)
that what puts me off going on there. I very much doubt i'd appeal much to them sorts of women, and tbh intellectuals and goths don't appeal that much to me either.

Well I've deleted okcupid, I just can't get on with it, maybe it's just where I'm used to everything the way it's laid out on pof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d1n9 (Post 1240728)
yeah but if you buy someone a drink/pay for a meal, you're sort of "paying to meet someone" isn't it?

okcupid standards are somewhat higher i think. there was a guy who messaged me and on his profile he specified his preference as "you will have 700+ photos tagged on facebook" :confused:

Yeah but with a paid site, I'd have to pay to get a date then pay on the date.

I'd rather just pay on the date.

Well I've been indecisive again and have deleted okcupid, and signed up again on pof :laughing:

yes I know I'm nuts :d Anyway this time I'm going on the offensive and messaging people.

Let's see how much my pride get's destroyed :wave:

Wings 20th April 2011 19:39

good luck!

i probably need to do the same and start messaging people

ponder 20th April 2011 19:42

I've been looking at this but can't seem to get over the hurdle of sending the first message - how do you start? Does anyone have any examples?

UkG 20th April 2011 19:50

Well I've been picking something from their profile and using that as an ice breaker.

Whatever you do try an be original, do not just say hi on the subject line.

These females even the ugly ones have like 30 messages after about half hour of logging in, and they need something that stands out from the other 29 messages.

Well my pride is being hurt already, I know it sounds bad but I messaged two people who in my mind were uglier than I am, and they viewed my profile and didn't reply :laughing:

Ah well I'll message two more who I think I'll have no chance with and see how I get on.

Wings 20th April 2011 19:56

^ have some patience, lol

maybe like me those women just viewed your profile for now and intend to reply later

i don't like the thing that tells you if they deleted your message, i never look at it

i just signed up to match- it wants £77!

UkG 20th April 2011 20:00

£77 **** that, I wouldn't even pay 7 quid lol

I wish pof still had that feature where you can see whether it's unread/deleted etc

You have to pay, and it wouldn't surprise me if eventually it becomes a fully paid site

Defiance 20th April 2011 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by UkG (Post 1240770)

Well my pride is being hurt already, I know it sounds bad but I messaged two people who in my mind were uglier than I am, and they viewed my profile and didn't reply :laughing:

you're lucky. most don't even view my profile :laughing:

keep messaging though. you're bound to have a better reply rate than me.

UkG 20th April 2011 20:06

I've still only done the two. I'm going to do 6 and see if the 1 in 3 thing is true.

It's actually bugging the hell out of me that one in particular didn't reply, she wasn't even my type.

I just assumed she'd reply lol

God I sound so shallow....

Seriously though, I find that some females on there let it go to their head, because they get a few messages they start thinking they are nicer than they actually are.

Wings 20th April 2011 20:07

has that function become paid members only? didn't realise. i never used it before anyways.

wasn't there a dating site where the men have to pay a £200 subscription fee and the women have to submit their photo for assessment by a panel of judges.. i remember trying to sign up for it before thinking who am i kidding i'll never qualify!

really struggling as to whether i should pay the £77

Mr. Nobody 20th April 2011 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by UkG (Post 1240770)

perhaps they find good looking people a little intimidating and think " out of my league",...I know I often do,... bit of an SA trait I fear,..

if someone considers themselves better looking than you,.. sooner or later they may hang that over you, perhaps these people are sparing themselves that potential ordeal ?

Defiance 20th April 2011 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by UkG (Post 1240786)
I've still only done the two. I'm going to do 6 and see if the 1 in 3 thing is true.

It's actually bugging the hell out of me that one in particular didn't reply, she wasn't even my type.

I just assumed she'd reply lol

God I sound so shallow....

that's the thing.

can't help but feel a little huh? when you dont even fancy them that much and they dont reply. atleast if they're really really attractive you can think to yourself, yeah i was probably not her type and she probably went for someone better looking as she's better looking herself, but when the girl isn't even all that and they dont reply your left feeling a bit like ...shit?, not even the mid-level girls are replying to me..

keep messaging though. i doubt anyone is gonna have a reply rate worse than me on there lol...

edit: but hey, i know someone who might reply .. you could always try message that "sexy" girl you just showed me :P haha

Azi 20th April 2011 20:28

Maybe these women aren't responding to your looks, but whether they 'click' with the personality you're presenting on your profile.

UkG 20th April 2011 20:35

Seriously it's really getting me insecure.

That is the exact reason I don't normally message people as rejection hurts me.

I normally take the ignorance is bliss approach.

Now when someone doesn't message I'm thinking of a variety of reasons why, was it my looks, profile etc.

It's not like I can message and ask why there was no reply lol

Defiance 20th April 2011 20:42

i still recon if you messaged 10 you'd get atleast 1 reply.

it's only me who has the shitty reply rates.

UkG 20th April 2011 20:56

If I only get 1 reply my self esteem is going to be in bits.

I wish I didn't care about rejection and what people thought

Defiance 20th April 2011 20:59

how much have you messaged so far?

Johnni 20th April 2011 21:09

Quote:

I was gonna say pay for it and give it a go for a month or so but Match has become very expensive since i last went on there.
I think you're limited with completely free sites as i presume that a large % of those that go on the free sites are'nt as serious about finding someone compared to someone who just forked out 20 quid for a months subscription.

UkG 20th April 2011 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defiance (Post 1240824)
how much have you messaged so far?

Still just two.

I can't do anymore, I have a real issue with insecurity, twos enough now.

UkG 20th April 2011 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnni (Post 1240829)
I was gonna say pay for it and give it a go for a month or so but Match has become very expensive since i last went on there.
I think you're limited with completely free sites as i presume that a large % of those that go on the free sites are'nt as serious about finding someone compared to someone who just forked out 20 quid for a months subscription.

Yeah I'd agree with that, although i feel for me personally paying is a last resort.