SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   Other Issues and Conditions (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   The ASD thread (Autism Spectrum Disorder) (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=89643)

firemonkey 13th February 2019 07:17

Re: The Autism, Asperger's and ASD Thread

Thanks everyone.

firemonkey 13th February 2019 13:07

Was a little nerve wracking. A lot of stuff about very early childhood that I couldn't answer. I said 'maybe' to some stuff ie I wasn't sure. I was getting the impression,rightly or wrongly, she was taking those as a 'yes' . I struggled to answer what I did in my spare time at home and at boarding school. Mind was a virtual blank. Have got another appt on 27th this month and 13th next month. I'm not sure if that's par for the course, or if they're sure you're not on the spectrum they tell you straight out and there's no need for other appointments.

Got a Ritvo to do with some questions to fill in . One part was about other diagnoses including psychiatric ones. That's got me flustered as they want doctor's/clinic name. It seemed very ambivalent to me ie are they asking for current dx or dx back when first dxed in 1975?

firemonkey 14th February 2019 10:17

I have to fill in the RAADs for my assessment but am stumped on the questions re normal rhythm/normal tone/unusual voice.

How does my voice sound here?

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1QcNTBTpdlJ

Consolida 14th February 2019 12:00

^ You have a lovely voice Firemonkey, NOT unusual at all. You sound very well spoken (which is good!), speak very clearly, and sound much more confident than I would have imagined considering you suffer with anxiety. I also thought that you put a lot of feeling into the piece you were reading, certainly not monotone in your deliverance.

Don't know if that helps at all :shrugs:

firemonkey 14th February 2019 12:47

It seems opinions vary as to how it is.

For example from other forums-

Quote:

There***8217;s an uneven rhythm to your speech, there isn***8217;t an even flow. There***8217;s also a higher pitch than usual for a man, a somewhat childlike quality to the tone of your voice.

Quote:

Sounds slightly sing-songy and there***8217;s a slightly unnatural sounding cadence to it,

Consolida 14th February 2019 16:21

^ Are these comments from people on other mental heath forums?

I'm flummoxed by some of their descriptions, tbh.
Higher pitch than usual for a man? What the heck are they talking about! Some men have deep voices, some have high pitched voices but yours sounds somewhere in between. It's an average sounding man's voice!

The sing songy comment perhaps is a different way of saying what I said about you having put some expression and feeling into your reading. That's surely better than something that comes across as boring and monotone?

When you ask people for their opinions on such things they are always going to give conflicting opinions. Pick out the comments that you like and discard the ones that you don't Firemonkey. :)

I bet most of them wouldn't have had the courage to record their voice on a public forum. I think you've done really well :smile2:

Also, don't forget how you sound on the recording won't be exactly how you sound in real life, plus I imagine when you feel that you are 'putting on a performance' your voice may be affected by nerves although I wasn't aware of that.

choirgirl 14th February 2019 22:03

You sound like you're reading something on the radio! Perhaps that is what the other comments mean? I don't think there is anything odd about it.

firemonkey 15th February 2019 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Change (Post 2423962)
You sound well spoken and intelligent.

I sounded a lot posher when I was younger. I think I'm more Estuary than Received pronunciation now .

firemonkey 15th February 2019 14:54

I don't find the questions about speech patterns offensive , but how are you supposed to know whether your own speech patterns are different/unusual? Hence the need to ask other people. The trouble being there's a diverse range of opinions and it's hard to judge who's actually saying it is as it is and who's being diplomatic.

firemonkey 15th February 2019 15:05

I agree it seems to not make any sense. Unless of course the people doing the test who claim to be neurotypical are more likely to have very mild ASD symptoms.

Dougella 15th February 2019 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melangell (Post 2424009)
I really think there needs to be some reform in the diagnostic techniques for autism. I find the question about speech patterns offensive to be honest. It seems so clumsy and inappropriate. I've worked with lots of autistic children, many are non verbal, and of the ones with speech it varies just as much as with anyone else.

I really don't think there's much understanding of autism yet, I can't see how such a huge variety of issues can be the same condition. To me there are so many people labelled as autistic and I think they've had that label given because there's something not quite right... But nothing else has been found. I can't see how a kid who is non verbal and incontinent is supposed to have the same condition as a kid who has excellent self care and verbal skills, but punches someone if they touch their lego?

Surely there's more than one condition going on?

I have heard of kids now being diagnosed with Sensory Processing disorder separately to Autism.
I think that there can be a lot of difference between people with Autism though because of the fact that it is a spectrum but there are basic factors/symptoms that are the same. Like stimming behaviours, difficulties with social cues, sensory sensitivities, melt downs, obsessive focus and need for routines etc.

Indigo_ 15th February 2019 19:17

Quote:

I find the question about speech patterns offensive to be honest. It seems so clumsy and inappropriate. I've worked with lots of autistic children, many are non verbal, and of the ones with speech it varies just as much as with anyone else.

I think autistic children who are verbal can display unusual prosody. I don't know how common this is but it can be an indicator. I have known a number of autistic children who speak in very high-pitched voices.

Quote:

I can't see how a kid who is non verbal and incontinent is supposed to have the same condition as a kid who has excellent self care and verbal skills, but punches someone if they touch their lego?

Surely there's more than one condition going on?

Comorbidity is common I believe. As Dougella has said, some children with autism have a sensory processing disorder. The two examples you give though, could describe children at different ends of the spectrum. I have taught an autistic child who was non-verbal, loved climbing the furniture, drinking toilet water, etc and another with excellent language, very artistic, can make intricate models and give me explanations for just about anything. Both are autistic though, their autism affects them in different ways.

Tembo 15th February 2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougella (Post 2419695)
^ I wonder if the fact that they both have years of practice of being on YouTube might make a difference to how confident they appear. Also they can cut out any parts afterwards where they didn't know what to say, or made a mistake or whatever but we don't get to see any of that. I have to be honest though I don't think I could do it either!

I remember very well the Chris Packham documentary, where he discussed his Aspergers.

If you watch a programme with Chris Packham in it, you simply wouldn't know that he had Aspergers. But when I saw his documentary where he discussed his Aspergers, you could definitely tell he was affected by it.

Dougella 15th February 2019 19:53

^^ That is what I thought, one person could have Asperger's (which I know isn't necessarily a diagnosis anymore) and another could have severe autism and be non verbal but they are both on the autistic spectrum.

Indigo_ 15th February 2019 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougella (Post 2424043)
^^ That is what I thought, one person could have Asperger's (which I know isn't necessarily a diagnosis anymore) and another could have severe autism and be non verbal but they are both on the autistic spectrum.

Yes, Asperger's is no longer separate and falls under ASD now. Two children at either end of the spectrum would be incredibly different.

Indigo_ 16th February 2019 18:55

I don't really think of autism as a medical condition, in the same way that epilepsy, for example, is a medical condition. Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition. I do agree that it can be difficult to diagnose and there are no solid causes as of yet. I think autism is more than a set of traits though, there is a triad of impairment and simply having a trait such as echolalia would not necessarily be indicative of autism. Echolalia can be linked to speech and language difficulties, which in turn could cause poor social skills.

Again, with obsessions, it's more than just an intense interest or hobby. A child in my class at the moment who is clearly autistic, absolutely loves windmills. All he wants to make are windmills. He will look at pictures of them on an iPad until he finds the perfect one and then asks an adult to make an exact replica. When the adult cannot make the perfect windmill, screaming, crying and throwing of objects ensues. It can be very difficult to calm him down or distract him. This to me, is an obsession. This child is high-functioning but I don't believe these behaviours are just part of a personality type. As this child leaves the Early Years (he is currently five) he will need a diagnosis and one to one support going forward.

firemonkey 16th February 2019 19:48

This is the levels according to the dsm 5. I'm not sure whether the ICD has levels.

https://autism.lovetoknow.com/Differ...vels_of_Autism

Dougella 16th February 2019 20:48

^^ I think I agree with your viewpoint there Indigo_. Just because people with Autism are counted as high functioning doesn't mean that they don't need a lot of ongoing one to one support. My Mum has been a one to one support assistant for a number of teenagers who would fit that description, they might be continent, able to do things for themselves and able to communicate but they have some quite profound problems with social interactions and some have been considered vulnerable enough that they needed support at all times, including break times.

firemonkey 16th February 2019 21:09

Some comments from my sister.

Quote:

He eventually met his wife, Brenda at one of the units and from that point he seemed to stabilise more and more. Brenda ran the household, cooked and cleaned and dealt with bills etc. This is not something Tim has ever been able to do without strong outside support.

Quote:

As an adult by this point Tim was much calmer but frankly could not function without Brenda to organise his life. He always had (and still does) anxiety and panic attacks about going out in public on his own. He could not cook or clean, finding tasks like that confusing even though very straightforward

Quote:

I truly think he finds it impossible to multi task, and can get very frustrated when things don't work or pan out

Dougella 19th February 2019 17:36

A talk about Autism in women and girls by an Autistic woman.