SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Psychics/Mediums........ (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=43895)

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 20:12

Psychics/Mediums........

Ok I know this is nothing to do with sa, but I just wondered what people on here thought of the whole psychic thing? I went to a medium about a month ago for the first time and it was amazing- ive always been obsessed with the paranormal since i was a little girl and always wanted to visit a psychic, but coz my dad is so religious i just never did. I plan to go again next week,lol. Has anyone else on here ever been to a psychic?

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 20:21

Re: Psychics/Mediums........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 943175)
no never used one, but i use to know this traveller lady and she did a reading using tarrot cards which i found really interesting. on a different note ive always fancied spending the night in a haunted hotel. :rolleyes:

Id love to stay in a haunted hotel too,lol. The medium i saw a month ago tole me things about my life that were very spot on- she said she had a female spirit making contact and went on to describe my mum- even told me how she'd died- she said I was sensetive enough to be a medium myself, that I just needed to 'nurture' it.

RattyLady 1st April 2010 20:25

I've always been sort of tempted to see a psychic or medium, just out of pure curiosity. Have always been pretty open-minded towards such things.

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 943206)
can you imagine that as a possible meet up :laughing:
that would have given me goose bumps! lol :eekpurple some of them can be so accurate like the lady who works with all the stars but some are best avoided.

Haha, i think it would be great.
Yes, the one on tv i think is called Sally Morgan, she's amazing.
The one i saw told me alot of things that were personal to me, i have a recording of the whole thing- but ive found a spiritualist centre near me, so im going to visit one of their mediums hopefully next saturday.

E Dub 1st April 2010 21:25

Just a word of advice, DONT pay them too much money, most of them are con artists:)

RattyLady 1st April 2010 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy coleman (Post 943228)
The one i saw told me alot of things that were personal to me, i have a recording of the whole thing- but ive found a spiritualist centre near me, so im going to visit one of their mediums hopefully next saturday.

Was it stuff that she really couldn't have known, like concrete facts? Out of interest :) I just have no idea what actually happens during the session, outside of fictional accounts akin to Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost :laughing:

GhostOnMagneticTape 1st April 2010 21:32

I've only been once about 6 years ago, I went on a friend's recommendation as a sceptic and came out slightly scared, amazed and open minded. I understand some people have the ability to "cold read" a person but some of the things she told me were accurate and spot on about dead relatives and friends. (I'm an atheist by the way). I phoned her up from my mobile phone when I arranged an appointment and didn't give her my full name. She was a reputable local psychic apparently... Maybe there's something in it science has yet to understand but will do in the future hopefully.

Warmer 1st April 2010 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Dub (Post 943289)
Just a word of advice, DONT pay them too much money, most of them are con artists:)

This is my view. Either con artists or they themselves are deluded.

andy o 1st April 2010 22:03

ive had a number of readings done over the past few years and I've found most of the information I've been given has been super accurate , amazing stuff .. I've even been practising developing my own psychic abilities , i must admit I've not been to successful as yet as I'm finding it hard to fully relax and empty my mind for meditation ( far to many random thoughts kicking around in there ):hypnotized:

as one of the above posts mention , be careful about who you choose to read for you as there are many a charlatan out there .. personal recommendation is always the best way

well worth a shot , :thumbpur:

danielv 1st April 2010 22:08

I believe psychic healing works, but only because the patient wants it to work / believes they are cured. Like a placebo

Diluted 1st April 2010 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oolong (Post 943315)
Either con artists or they themselves are deluded.

This is Derren Browns view and to me sounds about right.

RattyLady 1st April 2010 22:20

Did anyone watch the 'seance' that Derren Brown held with some students in a disused mental hospital, a few years back? It said a hell of a lot for the power of suggestion. I'm not comparing that to people who've had genuine experiences with psychics and mediums, btw.

Omar Little 1st April 2010 22:23

^those students thought they were having a 'genuine experience'.

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattyLady (Post 943295)
Was it stuff that she really couldn't have known, like concrete facts? Out of interest :) I just have no idea what actually happens during the session, outside of fictional accounts akin to Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost :laughing:

Yes it was- she told me what my mum died of, told me of the specific issues that my dad had caused to my relationship with my mum-this particularly amazed me as ive always 'felt' he did but have never discussed it with anyone. She said the spirit of this woman was showing her an image of my son playing with his truck, and a 'pane of glass', that i cant get through the glass, which is so true, i cant take my son out and do the things i want to do becoz of my sa. She told me things about my brother too which she cudnt have known.

José Raúl Capablanca 1st April 2010 22:31

oh dear... last time i broached this subject I offended two of the three people in the room. so sorry in advance.

but regrettably here's an abridged version of my two pences worth.

these people are about the most vile self deluded , arrogant charlatans in existence .there is more then one person who has offered over a million pounds to anyone who can prove their claims.

I find it disgusting . especially mediums who offer false advise from beyond the grave.

any magician worth his salt can recreate their remedial parlor tricks.

sorry.

RattyLady 1st April 2010 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Bullet (Post 943343)
^those students thought they were having a 'genuine experience'.

Haha yeah, until the 'dead' woman walked into the room :tongue1:

I'm guessing you're sceptical then, but how would you explain it if somebody you'd never met or contacted before in your life knew things about you they couldn't have feasibly known? I know it's not exactly a black and white issue and there are probably many factors involved. I just find the subject intriguing

José Raúl Capablanca 1st April 2010 22:36

^^^^^^^ Cold reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennite (Post 943357)
oh dear... last time i broached this subject I offended two of the three people in the room. so sorry in advance.

but regrettably here's an abridged version of my two pences worth.

these people are about the most vile self deluded , arrogant charlatans in existence .there is more then one person who has offered over a million pounds to anyone who can prove their claims.

I find it disgusting . especially mediums who offer false advise from beyond the grave.

any magician worth his salt can recreate their remedial parlor tricks.

sorry.

I know that alot of them are fake- but you cannot say that about them all, thats not possible,lol. Some people are born like that, they are able to see spirits from childhood and its always been that way for them- how can you call them vile? Its not their fault they have that ability?

Bloom 1st April 2010 22:38

Con artists in my opinion - but the science is there to back that up to.

Watch Derren Brown, he explains it all very well.

Omar Little 1st April 2010 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattyLady (Post 943365)
Haha yeah, until the 'dead' woman walked into the room :tongue1:

I'm guessing you're sceptical then, but how would you explain it if somebody you'd never met or contacted before in your life knew things about you they couldn't have feasibly known? I know it's not exactly a black and white issue and there are probably many factors involved. I just find the subject intriguing

They couldn't do it without resorting to trickery, and if they could (which they couldn't) they would claim the million dollar prize Bennite was talking about from James Randi.

danielv 1st April 2010 22:40

Ive seen one of Derren browns live shows, i must admit im a big fan :d

José Raúl Capablanca 1st April 2010 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 943369)
there are alot of charlatans out there so you need to be careful, but there are some real psychics, the police use them in this country and elsewhere to help solve cases?

sorry this is why I didn't want to get involved . it's something I feel strongly about . and don't want to be angry internet man. the ones the police use are about the worst because we have to pay for thier deception out of tax money.

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennite (Post 943378)
sorry this is why I didn't want to get involved . it's something I feel strongly about . and don't want to be angry internet man. the ones the police use are about the worst because we have to pay for thier deception out of tax money.

Your not making any sense- how on earth can they ALL be fake? Thats ridiculous,lol. And the ones that police use, omg, they have helped find missing people who've been murdered when all police searches had failed, how can they be fake?

Reddix3 1st April 2010 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 943381)
i dont understand why you feel that way because real cases have been solved by the help of psychics, when there wasnt enough evidence.

Sorry, but if there wasnt enough evidence how exactly was the case solved? Please explain because its quite difficult to actually convict someone without solid evidence?

José Raúl Capablanca 1st April 2010 22:50

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Bloom 1st April 2010 22:58

What is more ridiculous, that all psychics are fakers or self-deluded... or that there are ghosts and spirits floating around, stopping by to have stunted conversations with mediums/psychics?? There is 0 evidence. None. When there is clear evidence I will happily change my views :)

www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
Don't you think someone might have been tempted to gain $1 million.
What psychics and mediums can do, is take advantage of vulnerable people.

Omar Little 1st April 2010 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 943396)
not solved as in went to court etc but solved as in a young girl who had been missing was found.

There are no cases where a psychic has actually found a missing person.

karl-32 1st April 2010 22:59

i dont believe in them really . Think its a bit of a con but if it helps people , particularly those that have lost loved ones then i'm not against it . if it makes them feel better........:)

José Raúl Capablanca 1st April 2010 23:00

can you tell me a real case. which has been solved by a 'physic'?.

I knew i should of stayed out of this:)

chrissy coleman 1st April 2010 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 943396)
not solved as in went to court etc but solved as in a young girl who had been missing was found.

I even saw one programme about a psychic who was called in to help the police about a missing girl- no sorry, she went to them to tell them that she knew where the girls body would be found- anyway they did find her body, and they made the psychic take a lie detector test- then they said she'd failed it coz they wanted to charge her- turns out she didnt fail it, she had passed it with flying colours, but at the time the police didnt really have psychics helping them- another programme i saw, a young man went to the police saying his dad had gone missing- eventually he said he'd like a psychic thee police used to try and help find his dad- when the psychic held an item belonging to his missing father, she saw exactly what had happened and told the police-turns out the guy had murdered his dad and hid his body in the basement of the house- he didnt believe in psychics so wasnt expecting to be found out,lol.