SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   Other Issues and Conditions (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Hyperfixation… (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=95094)

biscuits 25th February 2023 16:16

Hyperfixation…

Do you, like me, experience hyperfixation ?

Feel free to share your experiences of this and how it impacts or doesn’t impact on your day.
Do you find it to be an enjoyable experience e.g. it’s about a hobby or interest?
Do you find it to be a scary experience as the things you hyperfixate on are obsessive thoughts or worries?
Do you find it to be a bit debilitating and it impacts on your day or relationships?
Do you have people to talk to and a support you through it?

Jam do Bronx 25th February 2023 23:40

Re: Hyperfixation…

Holy fk, is that what it's called? All these years I just thought it was an extension of my ocd. Yes, I get this a lot. It almost always ends up with me needing to step away from the things I enjoy. It gets to a point where it's all consuming, sometimes affects my sleep, and often infiltrate my dreams. I constantly ask myself if I can ever enjoy anything in a healthy way?

biscuits 26th February 2023 12:55

I was doing some googling and came across the term. Everything feels a little better when you realise that it has a name!

Percy 26th February 2023 16:25

I have ADHD so am prone to hyperfixation

Rocket Spud 26th February 2023 22:16

How does someone with ADHD have problems with being fixated on something? Excuse my lack of knowing, but i would've thought if you had troubles with being attentive then you wouldn't be able to fixate on anything for any length of time. Lol, i may be taking this too literally...

Rocket Spud 27th February 2023 16:38

Thanks, Nanuq, that makes sense. So it's like a mild, temporary addiction in those with ADHD.. ?

choirgirl 27th February 2023 21:00

I don't really seem to hyperfixate as much anymore, but I used to and frankly it's rather enjoyable on balance.

Percy 28th February 2023 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanuq (Post 2566831)
^ Do you have autism and adhd, Percy?
I have an asd diagnosis but fit the adhd criteria too. Someone recently told me that there was a statistic of somewhere between 50%-70% of people with autism have adhd...though I don't know where the statistic was from.
I went to a meet up of autistic women last weekend and they all had an adhd diagnosis too. It was interesting to meet quite a few people with similar traits and difficulties.
I hyperfixate. It can be a bit debilitating when it interferes with trying to keep on top of daily tasks.

I do indeed, you're very wise Nanuq

limey123 3rd March 2023 18:29

Yes. But then I'm autistic, so it's not a surprise.

Sudoku 1st June 2023 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey123 (Post 2567258)
Yes. But then I'm autistic, so it's not a surprise.

(high five)

The struggle is real! :laughing: