SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Did any of your teachers have mental problems ? (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=56136)

Mr Ploppy 10th July 2011 10:13

Did any of your teachers have mental problems ?

I seriously believe mine did. Not in a violent way, just strange.

Tom123 10th July 2011 11:01

Re: Did any of your teachers have mental problems ?

I had a few. One got sectioned. One had a severe mental breakdown. Both of those guys were Science teachers.

My form tutor, while not having a mental problem, was always an odd lady. I found out the other day that she has moved to Australia, become a lesbian and a fundamental Christian.

Becjane 10th July 2011 11:07

Majority were a little off at my school. One accused me of pushing someone in front of a bus :confused: I didn't by the way haha. But God she caused a scene the mad woman.

My old English teacher collected chocolate wrappers in a book... when I tried to have a look at the front of the book she went mental and snatched it off me and put a label over whatever was on the front.

Rubik 10th July 2011 12:04

My physics teacher wore a star made of tinfoil on a necklace to protect him from ghosts.

Twoflower 10th July 2011 12:24

My RE teacher was a bit odd.
One day he got out his guitar randomly and started singing!
Another day he spent the lesson beating his chest and yelling 'MEA CULPA!
He only lasted a year at the school.

MrMr 10th July 2011 12:35

yeah one or two were a little strange.

mind you, farming a bunch of stroppy kids might just drive you potty anyway.

яemus 10th July 2011 12:36

My old art teacher thinks he is elvis

Even has a following:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8965593230

GhostOnMagneticTape 10th July 2011 12:37

I'm sure being a teacher spawns mental health problems or aggravates them.

AnathemA 10th July 2011 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienBuddha (Post 1303717)
I'm sure being a teacher spawns mental health problems or aggravates them.

Particularly, anyone who teaches secondary school has got to be a masochist.

Munkeh 10th July 2011 12:53

Languages teacher had a mental breakdown and my RE teacher was an alcoholic.

schneebeli 10th July 2011 13:13

Not as far as I know, but a few were pretty unpleasant. The headmaster liked a drink and seemed to be permanently banned from driving

-Simon- 10th July 2011 13:21

We had some serious psychos. On the other hand, those who weren't mad and showed any weakness were bullied mercilessly by the pupils. Happiest days of your life apparently.

LittleMissMouse 10th July 2011 16:08

Sadly, one of my old teachers committed suicide a few years ago, apparently he'd suffered from really severe depression for years, but at school I remember him as being generally quite chipper and a really good teacher. Then again, teaching for 20 years or so at my old school is probably enough to make anyone depressed.

яemus 10th July 2011 16:12

One of my RL freinds is a primary school teacher. She suffers from clinical depression

Geminus 10th July 2011 16:14

:laughing: Oohhhh yes. A couple of alcoholics, some with anger issues and several other things I can't seem to remember now, (it's a long time since I was at school).

Narwhal 10th July 2011 18:03

I had this one really lovely teacher in high school, I remember he was a bit shy too. I heard a few years ago that he was off sick because he had a nervous breakdown. Still I guess I dont't blame him being a secondary teacher and all. I feel sorry for them all thinking what they had to put up with, even if I thought they were twats at the time!

Mr Ploppy 10th July 2011 18:06

My class teacher was on the whole a nice guy, but did some strange things. I won't actually say what as last time I posted one of them, someone here said "are you sure you didn't imagine that ?" :mad:

Thinking back he may have had a thing for me if you know what I mean.

Twoflower 10th July 2011 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfemptyglass (Post 1304015)
I obviously can't speak for 70s and 80s schooling (since I was born in 1988), but schools nowadays are all about differentiation and inclusion. Obviously lack of funds, behaviour management and the day to day grind compromise the ideals, but the schools I was have seen in the last 3 years (which ranged from a failing comprehensive, to an academy, to a good comprehensive, to a grammar school) were big on individual differences.

You study educational and psychological theory while training to be a teacher... it's not really brainwashing if it's backed up by years of studies and evidence.

(Edit - and I'm not saying all teachers do the job with perfect intentions, or do their jobs perfectly. But they a) do a much a harder job than they are given credit for, and b) are human, and make mistakes. And the large majority are genuinely trying to make a difference - not just wanting long summers.)

I know so many people who are in teacher-training, because they want to make a difference.... unfortunately I don't see it happening. The curriculum isn't going to change just cos a few nice teachers want it to.

I agree though, teachers are given a bad rap, but there's always at least one teacher in every school who hates kids and nobody has a clue why on earth they went into teaching :laughing:

Mr Ploppy 10th July 2011 19:09

I used to watch schools tv in my late teens early 20s (nothing else to do). It was full of pro Europe and ultra PC stuff.

Saponara_Immobile 10th July 2011 19:09

As far as my expereince at secondary school goes it was mostly just a case of babysitting the kids, hardly any teaching went on. I think I forgot more than I learnt. There were a lot of troubled teachers, I went to an inner city state school in London so you can imagine how hard it was for a lot of them but one or two were just bonkers in general I think. We had supply teachers coming in constantly cos of all the regular teachers having break-downs or whatever. Even the first 6th form college I went to was full of hooligans so plenty of teachers had breakdowns there too, mind you so did I.

schneebeli 10th July 2011 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfemptyglass (Post 1304015)
... schools nowadays are all about differentiation

what does this mean pls, heg?

Just remembered a music teacher who had a meltdown and threw a chair at a pupil and was on leave for a while after. We met him in a country pub a few years later (after the school had been bulldozed) and he was really friendly and good-humoured, clearly transformed by leaving the profession.

Mr Ploppy 10th July 2011 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbow.one (Post 1304034)
I agree though, teachers are given a bad rap, but there's always at least one teacher in every school who hates kids and nobody has a clue why on earth they went into teaching :laughing:

My science teacher was like that, total c**t.

xTKsaucex 10th July 2011 19:20

urrrmm my class probably caused a few teachers to loose the plot. :spin:

Between The Bars 10th July 2011 19:22

Aye all of them, thats how i ended up a complete nutcase!!

Mr Ploppy 10th July 2011 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 1304041)

You would have been a toddler when I left school. My schooldays

She wasn't even a collection of cells when I left :eekpurple that's rather disturbing.

Toxic 10th July 2011 19:59

fairly bad school

we had substitute teachers running out crying by about 9:10am

im not sure if any actually had mental issues...although i do know one guys just been banged up for sleeping with a 15yr old girl...see back when i was there it was all boys school...i guess he just couldnt help himself :headshake:smash:

id be very surprised if all my teachers are still sane somewhere... i know some of us kids had a bad enough time..id hate to have been a teacher :eekpurple

AxelFendersson 10th July 2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneebeli (Post 1304039)
what does this mean pls

Differentiation is the mathematical process of evaluating the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable upon which it is dependent. :smile2:

I definitely learned that when I was at school.

schneebeli 10th July 2011 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxelFendersson (Post 1304127)
Differentiation is the mathematical process of evaluating the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable upon which it is dependent. :smile2:

Thank you. I am none the wiser :d

Spectrelight 10th July 2011 20:40

There were a few odd balls definately. I don't know if any of them were actually ill but it's understandable if they were given the nature of the job.

There was a teacher at my sisters school who killed his wife who was also a teacher at the school who was sleeping with another teacher at the school who was never seen again afterwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxelFendersson (Post 1304127)

You obviously went to a better school than me if they taught you that.

Mr Ploppy 10th July 2011 20:49

School must be a trigger for me, I hate thinking about them :(