View Single Post
Old 30th March 2020, 23:07

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Can You Trace The Cause Of Your Social Anxiety

It varies from individual, in my case, it's complex PTSD, pre and post-natal trauma, my adoption, my neurological disability (hemiplegia), verbal and psychological abuse at home and in school, my boarding school experiences left me feeling incredibly abandoned, suicidal in the late 1980s and 1990s. For many I believe, social anxiety is a symptom of childhood trauma, abandonment or neglect.

I never thought of myself as someone with PTSD 3 years ago as I always held the notion that PTSD is symptom of an accident or war, how wrong was I. Plus, trauma can be inherited genetically, for example our great-grandparents may have suffered a trauma such as abuse or war, genes are altered as a result and thus inherited by their own children, increasing the risk of developing mental health problems.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...is-epigenetics

Quote:
Our children and grandchildren are shaped by the genes they inherit from us, but new research is revealing that experiences of hardship or violence can leave their mark too.

https://www.verywellmind.com/ptsd-an...sorder-2797528

Quote:
Why Are PTSD and SAD Related?

A number of theories have been proposed to explain why PTSD and SAD are related. First, the symptoms of PTSD may make a person feel different, as though they can't relate or connect with others. A person with PTSD may have difficulties communicating or interacting with others for fear of coming into contact with trauma-related reminders. All of this may feed the development of SAD.

In addition, many people with PTSD feel high levels of shame, guilt, and self-blame, and these feelings may lead to SAD. Finally, there is evidence that SAD among people with PTSD stems from depression. People with PTSD often experience depression, which may lead to social withdrawal, isolation, and a lack of motivation that could contribute to the development of SAD.

Overall, research suggests that the link between PTSD and SAD is complex, stemming from multiple factors including a person's genes, history of trauma, and psychological vulnerabilities, like fear of being negatively evaluated by others. Further studies will hopefully help experts tease apart the precise relationship between PTSD and SAD.