View Single Post
Old 26th August 2016, 14:52

Default Re: It's normal to be insecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone*star
I agree that everybody is insecure to some degree. So the two main points of interest in that observation are:

a) Everybody is insecure

b) There are varying degrees to that insecurity

So what interests me most are the reasons behind those two points. In other words, Why is everybody insecure? And why are some people more insecure than others?

Perhaps if we looked into those two questions and could find out the answers, we might then all be able to benefit as a result.
My impression is that people are insecure because life is fundamentally competitive, and any deficiency one has will be put in the spotlight and exploited. That's just a facet of being human and probably unavoidable, but what we can do is learn how to manage that situation and lessen its impact. Generally, as it is now, it seems to me that certain things are rewarded and other things are punished. As kids, the loud, active, boisterous (bleaurgh!) ones are praised and the quiet ones are repeatedly hit with the message "why aren't you more loud/violent/insanely psychopathic?" Some parents could do worse than being a little more tolerant about quiet kids, and a little more mindful of the effect this line of questioning has. That could be applied to anyone in life really.

But life is what it is and people can be insensitive, so developing some sort of way to cope and handle these stresses could work wonders, I think. Just sort of learning to "find your voice", and just, I dunno, lessons in how to accept oneself as is, would be very beneficial.