View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:21

Default Re: Over 35's only! Does it get better?

Well, I miss the age requirement by a whisker being a tender 32, but it seems to me that if we take a view of self determination then the future can get better, worse, or stay the same, as the result of the little choices we make every day.

Alternatively, if we take the prevalent view that the experiences of others are indicative of a pre ordained future, then we are at the whims of life, which may chose to deliver us blows, or grace, or most likely, more of the same. If this happens, we may develop ways to cope with what we dislike, or find it harder, depends on the tendencies of the individual.

I realise the weight of issues can make self determination sound trite and naive, it seems borderline casual and irritating when someone says you have the reigns on your life when it feels like you have anything but. I understand that, spent much of my life there in my own way.

After years of denial, then a rough patch when it all fell apart, I now find myself having learned and slowly making better choices and my life is slowly, bit by bit, starting to improve. I'll probably make more mistakes along the way I'm sure, and there have been hard moments for me throughout, but I'm trying to move forward nonetheless and recent months have born that out so far.