View Single Post
Old 25th October 2015, 01:56

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Being quiet seen as a negative trait

Quote:
Is there something wrong with being quiet? This is the vibe I get when people talk about those who are considered 'quiet'. Does society want everybody to be a loudmouth with a conveyor belt of opinions and information on every aspect of their lives, or do they want the more sensible option of a society full of mixed personalities?
In short, it's not being quiet and it's not that you have to be a loudmouth. What was it that happened that made you feel like this? I know that it can feel like 'quiet=bad', that message can be powerful. Some thinghs can hapen that can reinforce that idea. If for example, you can't think of anything to say, you end-up quiet, it's easy to zone out and imagine how horribly people are thinking of you. Ofdten, this is not as bad as you imagine (unless you're dealing with assholes that are not worth knowing; please try to think in these terms-wise words of advice) I don't know what happened that prompted you to start this thread but I'm guessing something along these lines.
Quote:
I am a very reserved person as I can't be doing with small talk and prefer to keep myself to myself, only speaking when I need to or having a bit of conversation and banter with people who I feel at ease with.
Or should I add, when there's something brought-up that you can comment-on without feeling like a numpty. In honesty, most decent people should understand that if you don't know them, feeling like that is to be expected.
Quote:
When big, loud confident types try to start a conversation with me by asking me how I am, as awful as this sounds I just can't be bothered as I know they are going to judge me negatively for living a life less exciting and diversified as their's.
No, most peopel are most likely trying to be curious and find things that could be talking points, unless they are genuinely assholes. I know this may sound silly and cliched, but it's most likely a manifestation of the belief 'quiet=boring/awful/dreadful/not worth knowing etc.' that you might interpret their attetmpts at getting to know you as attemtps to put you through some kind of test. Usually this is not the case at all I (with people worth knowing that is). It's probably the idea that 'quiet=bad' that is the problem, and not quietness itself. I don't know what the exact situation was beyond what you described so can't really comment of give advice further.