View Single Post
Old 24th August 2005, 11:58

Default Re: "Highly sensitive person"

There's some tilting at windmills going on in this thread. Here's a quote from the book:

Most people confuse sensitivity with shyness... <Shyness> is a certain state, not an always-present trait. Shyness, even chronic shyness, is not inherited. Sensitivity is. And while chronic shyness does develop more in HSPs, it needn't. I have met many HSPs who are almost never shy."

Here's another:

"The way to come to tolerate and then enjoy being involved in the world is by being in the world.

I do not say any of this lightly, however. I was someone who mostly avoided the world until midlife, when I was more or less forced to change by powerful inner events. Since then I have had to face some fear, overarousal, and discomfort almost every day. This is serious business and isn't fun. But it really can be done. And it feels wonderful to be out there succeeding."

Aron does NOT say that it's ok to be 'quiet and stuff' if you don't want to be or that inhibitedness is an inborn and unchangeable trait. In fact, she questions describing people, particularly children, as inhibited at all and prefers to see them as being more cautious.
As I said before, I do have some problems with the book (particularly the twee writing style and the therapy recommendations) but there is a lot of good in it.

If you can't wait to read the book before slagging it off, try this:

"The other type of information comes from psychologists trying to help people with their shyness. Their style is to first make you worried so you'll be motivated, then to take you step by step through some pretty sophisticated, well-researched methods of changing your behaviours. This approach can be effective but also has some problems for HSPs, although it may seem more suited to you. Talk about "curing" your shyness or "conquering your syndrome" cannot help but make you feel flawed, and it overlooks the positive side of your trait.

Whatever advice you read or hear, remember that you do not have to accept how the extraverted three-quarters of the population defines social skills - working the room, always having a good comeback, never allowing "awkward" silences. You have your own skills - talking seriously, listening well, allowing silences in which deeper thoughts can develop."

I wouldn't entirely agree with that but it is quite refreshing to hear someone say that I'm allowed to have my own way of doing things and don't have to do what everyone else does. Note the words "DO NOT HAVE TO". She doesn't say you can't if you want to.