View Single Post
Old 19th April 2011, 17:52

Mood
Chatty

Default Re: Are You Uncomfortable Being Watched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze-elle
Thanks jenny4 for starting this thread. Had no idea other people struggle to walk when being watched, too. I thought I was a freak for feeling this way. It's so weird - one glance from a stranger and i forget how to walk. Suddenly i'm tripping over my own feet and staggering about.

I totally empathise with you, blubs, having to walk past a stranger is so awkward. I never know where to look - do i look them in the eye and say hello, or do i keep my head down and not bother them? Always end up taking a sudden interest in my fingernails or a nearby shrub, and so end up looking weird anyway. Don't know why i do that, guess it's just panic.

Does anyone else worry about being watched by people outside when you're indoors, or vice versa? I get especially paranoid when it's really dark outside and i'm in a well-lit room with no curtains. The window becomes like a police mirror - everyone out there can see me, but i can't see them (in my paranoid and ego-centric imagination, there are dozens of people stood in the street, all watching me and laughing).

This is me exactly.

My legs go all wobbly, yet stiff at the same time as I walk past people, I don't know where to look, or what to do, I'm glad it's summer now, so I can wear my sunglasses, and so I now peer a bit at people as I walk past them to see if they are staring at me, ( like I worried they were - and now they can't see my eyes )

and something strange happened - none of them were looking at me, they just didn't care, they maybe glanced at me, or looked down, or looked about...

But when I was too scared to look at people I never noticed this, I just ASSUMED they were always staring at me and judging me as I walked past.

It was a bit of a revelation and I hope I can put this knowledge to good use to help me overcome this.