View Single Post
Old 11th November 2015, 21:15

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: The Suicide Thread - Trigger Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSunshine
Thanks Olly

I don't have any real desire to seek any kind of support or help from professionals. Maybe a small part of me feels I deserve to feel like this because of something I did? I also don't think I could open up to a complete stranger about how I'm feeling. I don't think I could be honest and explain everything. It's a situation that would make me feel socially anxious I think.

I'm also quite wary of admitting to any type of professional that I think I may be depressed and suicidal. I don't want to be signed off work and it is something that I would have to declare at work because of the profession I work in.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody but in my view, anti-depressants don't tackle the problem. Like with the majority of medication it simply stops the symptoms. My depression would still be there. That's just my personal view. I completely understand why others take them.
I used to feel similarly about seeing a therapist and talking to someone about things, but I think part of the process of it can be learning to trust someone and open up in an honest way.

You're right that anti-depressants don't tackle the problem. They can give people a lift and a bit of relief from certain symptoms which in turn can make it easier for people to tackle things with therapy etc. But they're certainly not a cure.

But everyone's different. I hope you can find things that are helpful for you