View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2017, 15:14

Default Re: Going out tonight and dreading it.

Hi Clyde! Thanks for the update!

Don't worry about it – overthinking things is very common from my experience. As often as it’s said (and it's a very tiresome saying), sometimes throwing yourself into social situations even though the 'alarm bells' may be ringing in your head is a good course of action to take. This is basically what has helped me 'come out of my shell' more in recent years…and I have to hold my hands up, to a certain degree it has helped. Sure, it's not given me any lifetime progressions as it would do for others (which is still about the biggest bugbear I have in life), but it's at least given me some crumbs of confidence in myself. A 'hollow victory' as it were…

What you need to do, if you can, is now build upon that experience. Try and go out again at another time… Sure, it'll still be difficult and that fear factor never diminishes entirely (in some cases not at all, depending on the company you're with) but you should be a little more 'sure' about yourself. This is what I've found happens the more I've gone out… Sure, I'd still rather stay in and I feel I can be more myself at home, but going out to certain places with certain people doesn't overly bother me any more.

Yes – it's always pleasing to come home! The feeling of relief?! I know it well!

Anyway, well done on being brave enough for your outing!