Thread: Bodybuilding
View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:51

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Bodybuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only_human
My knees are weak and i've been prone to dislocation of the patella and twisted ligaments before so id really like to build up the strength in my legs but i only know basic physio exercises.
I've had knee cap tracking problems in the past and the thing that always got prescribed by numerous physios was training the VMO (Vastus Medialis Oblique). This is the tear drop shaped muscle on the lower inner part of the front of your thigh. Just next to your knee cap. In most people it is weak. If you have problems with your knee cap dislocating then strengthening this muscle will certainly help because it helps keep the knee cap tracking straight and not going offline. Nearly all the muscles of the thigh pull the knee cap outwards, the VMO is the only force balancing this, so if it's weak you're go to have problems.

Here's a good exercise shown with good form that you can do at home. It might be hard to get your balance at first but you can use the back of a chair to assist until you can manage it free standing. You do need a certain amount of mobility in your hips and ankles to do it correctly but this will come with time.