View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:04

Default Re: University help for SA

Hiya,

Yep, don't worry - I left the thread open because it's useful to read other people's questions.

With SA the biggest or most obvious one would be paying for a non-medical helper - someone who can act as your advocate, your notetaker, and your support while you're at uni. It also covers the cost of the stationery for the non-medical helper. Every case is different of course, but it might also be that the SA leads to difficulty with using public transport. In that case (I think) they would be entitled to the cost of taxi fares.

Quote:
This allowance can help with any extra travel costs you may have to pay to attend your university or college because of your disability (i.e. if you need to
take a taxi because your disability prevents you from taking public transport). You will not be eligible for help with everyday travel costs which any student would expect to pay, and you may have to provide receipts.
They assess your level of need and allocate support based on that assessment. It wouldn't cover being unable to work, but I think some people have successfully claimed DLA (disability living allowance) and incapacity benefit for SA, though I'm not sure what the current situation is with these benefits. Best people to speak to about other support would be the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Hope that helps!