View Single Post
Old 29th June 2015, 01:33

Default Re: Input for Mental Health Curriculum Project

@Nat36: Mindfulness is indeed a wonderful tool, especially for PREVENTING mental health issues (making it especially important to teach to young people). And I liked your point that being given an option to do something is meaningful even when there is no guarantee that it will change anything (or even be pursued). What this brings up for me is the feeling that teaching students ABOUT certain skills, i.e. teaching that they exist and providing students with resources so they can be pursued outside the classroom is an important alternative to keep in mind rather than thinking only in terms of either teaching and practicing skills extensively in class or else totally neglecting to teach them.

I was wondering if you could say a bit more about assertiveness classes as a preventative and empowering measure? I am not very educated about assertiveness classes, and I also be curious what an ideal assertiveness class would look like to you. Is there a particular modality you would want to be taught or a particular way you would want assertiveness to be taught? Also, what do you mean when you say assertiveness classes would be a "preventative" measure?