View Single Post
Old 19th March 2024, 19:39

Default Re: Do you prefer sleeping in complete silence or sleeping listening to something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflies
I can’t sleep in silence. I used to very much need familiar sounds (I’d typically replay the same film or tv show on repeat every night). I’m still similar in that I prefer the familiar. I guess it creates a feeling of safety. Even if I have the most horrific migraine, I often still can’t be completely still with no sound. No lights, 100% but there’s something really painful about silence. I think it’s also partly fear of becoming much more hyper aware of inner thoughts where as sound disrupts that thinking pattern with something else to be momentarily distracted with. .
I'll quite often put on a youtube playlist and let it autoplay (quietly), usually the same one. It has a nice lulling effect, especially when insomnia has kicked in. I do sleep with a fan on, even in winter and even with a migraine. The cold air on my face is a nice bonus (hate being too hot) but just the whirring noise alone I love, I can't sleep without it. (I mean I can pass out with exhaustion for 2 or 3 hours a night but I can't sleep anywhere near `normally` or healthily without it).