View Single Post
Old 4th October 2005, 10:52

Default Re: Watching TV 'is bad for children'?

i've vaguely thought in the past that i wouldn't bother having a telly for the first few years if i had kids. i just think it is a very passively consumed stimulus, there is so much else in the real world to explore and discover and investigate, and kids are so receptive and full of enthusiasm and curiosity, i think it would be a bit of a shame to squander the early years on TV watching. whether it is 'damaging' or not i couldn't say, but i don't think it could harm them not to watch it. i would hope that it would give them the confidence to develop their imaginations along their own unique lines. i wouldn't want them to feel abnormal or deprived either, so i would definitely let them watch it from, say school-age onwards if they wanted to. i think that shielding them too much from mainstream culture could make them a little precious or something, so i think it would be important for them to be exposed to that via TV to a certain extent as well, but within limits. i don't watch TV at all so it would be no hardship for me whatsoever to go without.