View Single Post
Old 7th February 2016, 17:46

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Public Speaking for the Socially Anxious

^ Yeah really helpful. Not only are you less likely to succeed if you avoid public speaking, but it's more about how you look and sound than what you say? Really helpful lol.

I had to do a lot of public speaking in a previous job including twice to a news crew, but my SA wasn't as bad then. I also spent my 20's singing in bands.

I have also done public speaking with bad SA, and the last time was when I performed a handfasting for my best friends. I really thought I was going to poo or vomit waiting to go through, and they had written 4 A4 pages of stuff to be read out!

What you can't see are the 50 or so spectators. I did it, I didn't imagine anyone naked or on the loo, I just concentrated on my friends and the paper in front of me and tried to pretend there was no-one else, made sure I kept my voice strong and steady and smiled all the way through.

I think concentrating on the outcome and why you are up there helps you to focus.

I don't think you need to be good at public speaking to succeed in life and that info-graphic is actually quite insulting!