View Single Post
Old 19th April 2016, 21:26

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc
Anyone else been diagnosed with this?

I was diagnosed with it last year, but have been experiencing symptoms since my late teens. In fact I would say that most, if not all, the anxiety I experience in social situations is due to the way I perceive how I look.

Any ideas on treatments etc? Personally although I found cbt immensely helpful in overcoming my social anxiety, I've found the techniques pretty usless when trying to tackle BDD-related thoughts.
CBT again. The treatment model basically involves learning to detach from thoughts about your appearance, then confronting the situations you'd avoid without using any safety behaviours/camouflage and continuing to switch off from thoughts and focus on what you're supposed to be doing. Much easier said than done, but it really helped me, my life has changed completely so if you can get a therapist who knows how to treat BDD (which is a challenge in itself) I'd say give it a go. Not sure which part of the country you live in, but if you want to discuss how to find a therapist send me a pm.