View Single Post
Old 11th May 2020, 12:00

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Do you ever think you worry too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
#
trouble is,. I seem to get very emotional over any issues,.
as long as my life is moving in a smooth predictable way, I seem relatively unruffled,..
but it doesn't take much to get my feelings churning,
and then that reveals the fact that my 'calmness' was just a surface phenomenon that I was protecting,
protected by having a boring predictable lifestyle that I could easily manage.
I can relate to that!

I've made my life very small to avoid the things that make me uncomfortable.

That has lulled me into a false sense of security as most days are easy.

As things are easy, I don't do any work on myself (eg meditation, reading up on social anxiety, self esteem, and confidence, going to therapy etc)

Then something happens out of the blue, such as an email from an old friend or an invite to something social and it knocks me right off my perch!

Depending on the thing, my mind can run wild and leave me overthinking, worrying, anxious, and stressed.

This, like you say, shows how badly I'm doing but not aware due to my artificially small life.

The alternative could be throwing myself into things that make me feel uncomfortable every day.

But even if you did that, there would always be things that make you feel even more uncomfortable.

Say I was out and about meeting people all day, so that became my new normal.

I would still get knocked off my perch by bigger things, like having to do a presentation, etc.

So what's the point in trying to get better, as there will always be things that are harder/going to be difficult?