View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2021, 20:02

Default Re: No stigma, no scapegoating, only working like a dog *trigger warning

I was young when I made jokes about being sent to the potato shed where I would learn how to distill vodka. (I know that not all vodka is distilled using potatoes) It was not what I pictured my future to be. I was good at my sport, I trained six days out of seven. I did not lack will or discipline. I could never have someone map out my life for me. It would be like trying to fit a square peg through a round hole. I wouldn't compromise. I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to create. That is why. I almost steered towards art school. But thank heavens I chose to write. I never anticipated that my stunt would have such a detrimental impact on my chances because I thought I would one day not be where I was. Being in hospital was a double edged sword. It saved my life and at the same time gave me a fight I never went looking for.
I greatly respected my Grandfather and I really tried with my blood father. When he came into my work, I gave him another chance. I was never going to apologise for choosing my own path. I just wanted a job with training that was a little more interesting and less mind numbing than retail. If I couldn't make my art work and write, I wasn't going to compete with people who had come from more privileged circumstances than me. Have my family alienate me and call me a snooty so and so who had nothing to be high and mighty about and should remember where she came from. My teachers seemed to be of the disposition: if you are so smart you will figure it out on your own. A lot of them, not all of them. I considered doing horticulture and being a landscaper. But this demon at that back of my mind, wouldn't leave me alone.