View Single Post
Old 21st March 2012, 20:35

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: What is being yourself or true to yourself??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceMasuka
I did struggle with this at one point; I felt like all my opinions, likes/dislikes need to to be validated. Partly because everything is so complicated and I didn't feel 'informed' enough to know what was correct, and what was good or bad. What I've noticed, since I've constructed my personality conciously and thoughtfully, I'm constantly adapting what I consider 'me'. My values and opinions are susceptible to new input which I think is a positive thing. Nothing is black and white nor simple. I feel that this level introspection helps me see the world in a non-egocentric way.

I see it in a lot of your posts, always balanced and informed. I find it to be an extremely positive thing when putting SA into perpective. One of the most damaging aspects of SA is it can make some people believe their experiences are an accurate reflection of the world.
I think this is a massively important thing too. Our core values do tend to remain constant, but everything else should be fluid and open to change via new experience. This way we don't become stuck and rigid. We become flexible and adaptable.

I see life experience as something that passes through me. I sieve out the things that resonate with me and I feel I want to adopt, and I let go of the things I don't want to adopt and what doesn't resonate with me. This means that I evolve and grow through my experience.

To be honest, I think a willingness to take today's experience on it's own merits and in its own context is a big stride in dealing with SA. In SA we filter today's experience through yesterday's feelings, emotions and thoughts and use what happened in the past as a template for what we believe will happen now. In short, we are not living in the moment, but rather basing our experience today on contexts past.

Being open to new information, new input, brings psychological flexibility rather than psychological rigidity. And it's psychological rigidity which helps keep us SA.

Maybellinesmom, I'm glad your thread has proved useful to you.

Thanks for the nice comment, and all the best to you in all you do.