View Single Post
Old 10th January 2020, 08:50

Default Re: SA-friendly jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude99
I worked in a small, cheque encashment office doing data processing years ago. there was only either 2 or 3 of us but I still felt awkward communicating with them. I would also serve people at the counter. As it was on a 121 basis and specific, I was able to overcome my SA. I have good people skills, as long as it is on a 121 basis. I have worked in the caring field for many years. Residential work can be OK as you may be supporting 2 or 3 clients living independently. cook meal, help to bathe and put them to bed then do a sleep in. There is only one member of staff on at any one time. Residents require very little attention. Also I worked as a manager for a day center, I had my own office and was left alone most of the times to get on with my work, which was great. Staff would come and see me and as it was on a 121 basis, this suited me. The downside was having to attend lots of meetings, do presentations for guests. My anxiety would overwhelm me. Currently, I am working as a community volunteer coordinator. I work remotely which means I can work from anywhere including from home. I do have to attend meetings and training with others but my manager is very flexible knowing I have SA, she is supportive if I am having a bad day and do not attend. I mostly meet clients and volunteers on a 121 basis which is ideal for me. I still have lots of human contact but on a 121 basis the majority of the time and for no more that 1.5 hours at a time doing supervisions or assessments. Again, the downsides are I have to facilitate training, attend group training and meetings. I also have to do information sessions to groups of people. This is a challenge but is good for my development and stops me from Avoiding anxiety provoking experiences. I am always looking for that perfect job I can do at home. Where I only need to communicate via phone or email and only meet people on a 121 basis but at the same time, know that it will not be good for my SA as I already feel very isolated and lonely.
That's really nice you have a boss who is so understanding! I think most of my bosses either thought I was just very quiet or stuck up for not talking much! I had a phone conference the other day and really didn't like it but its not as bad I guess as using the phone to talk to customers and members of the public as I would hate that! It was basically some training I had to do for a new task at work!