View Single Post
Old 25th March 2024, 23:48

Default Sticking up for yourself

Hi. Today I was a little upset and sort of reacted slightly in a meeting with my manager. We had a catch-up later and I told them that they were being a little condescending at times. They said sorry and hopefully we can move on. I'm looking for a new job which they know, which is making it difficult. So they along with other managers have tried bringing my confidence down. They are very short staffed and stressed so maybe little understandable. I did say I realise there is a lot of pressure at the top and maybe it filters down. Feel I'm in the wrong environment. A recent survey off staff showed 25% flagged being bullied or harassed in my team where the workplace average is 7%. I've had to stick up for myself a few times. Last time I did it I couldn't sleep the whole night as was worried how other managers would react. One of them ended up saying something the next day really hurtful. After a while the situation went back to normal. Feels like I'm always having to fight to get anything. From speaking to friends in other work places seems bad in multiple places. Alot of people seem to be leaving work, due to lack of support etc. Thinking of quitting but also close to getting new job (had 5 interviews in different sectors). Think I'm in the wrong place and feel if I quit then I can least apply for roles I want to do as have rough idea. Though then could be difficult getting back in. Last few months I've been sleeping 4-5 hours a night waking up regularly. Sometimes I might have a good week. Feel like the environment doesn't suit me and a lot has happened. Don't have really anyone to chat too. Have a lot of friends outside of work but none inside work.

Does anyone have any good coping strategies to deal with stressful situations? I spoke to a friend recently and they were just chatting about their work environment and they said you have to accept some bullying in the workplace. From the way they said it, I can see what they meant... sometimes you have to give in to the people above you or choose your battles...though also feels sad.