View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:41

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Experience of universal credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
As Dougella says, UC is means tested so if you are living with your partner, they will take your combined income into consideration.

However, PIP is not means tested and can be awarded regardless of any other income you might have; you would need something from a doctor or social worker testifying that your condition affects your day-to-day life and there is a knack to completing the form, but it may be an option.
This is true and I know some people who are on it. However, one has MS and one has various mental health problems and hasn't worked in years. So I dont feel that I would be eligible for it, I haven't been to my GP for my anxiety in months now, just been trying to 'deal' with it. So I dont think I'll have much of an argument. I want to work more hours, I really wish that I could but as soon as my agency gives me another job over and above my part time receptionist role, I seem to fall apart. They also dont know about my anxiety either and they ask me a lot to do last min jobs in the back of beyond for places I have never worked for and just 'expect' me to know what I'm doing and be confident and efficient at doing it.

The part time reception work is for a quiet office, so I get just enough calls and visitors that I can hold it together most of the time. But they have gave me work before thats nothing but calls after calls with no downtime and I really felt like crap doing that, like wanted to just walk out of the place.

A quarter of my wage goes towards just getting to work, then I have rent (which I half with my partner - no housing benefit), a lot of direct debits for utilities that I do need, food, credit card etc. Some months I have managed it, some months my partner has had to pay some more. But now I'm really struggling to pay rent at all. My partner does not have a high paying job so if he were to pay all my bills and rent as well as his own, he would also be in a lot of debt. I am in 2 grand of debt from just not having enough income this year and I can only pay the minimum back each month or else it eats into money for other bills.

I am not unemployed but then you dont have to be to get universal credit, I was just looking for a helping hand until I sort out my finances/job situation, not wanting a life of 'luxury'. Really its just to pay for my half of the rent tbh.