Old 18th October 2015, 00:25

Mood
Gloomy

Default Re: Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn
I don't understand BDD.

I don't know if I have it or not.

Sometimes I think I look alright, but there are things about my appearance that I don't like and these things are not in my head and have affected my life negatively.

I see people here, very good looking people who are told time and time again by other very good looking people, and not so good looking people, that they are very good looking, but won't accept it because they see a distorted image of themselves.

But surely, there must come a point when they accept what every single person us telling them, and not the image they see?

I've read that BDD is about seeing a distorted image of yourself looking back at you, and also that BDD is obsessing about body parts, facial features etc that don't look distorted.

One of the things I hate about myself are my ears. I've never seen anyone with ears like mine, they are unique lol, and no end of ***** took the piss out of them growing up. I know I'm not seeing a distorted image of them for instance.

However, sometimes I look at my face and think I look good, and other's I think I look weird, but I don't see a distorted, twisted monster looking back at me like some people claim to see.
i think you're right about a distorted image, that's my view of BDD.
seeing things which are unrealistic, a very lean person thinking they look fat, maybe from a distorted reflection and keeping that image in their head.
i've got over mine to a certain extent but i feel small all the time, its something that probably will never leave but at least we can get some form of control over it maybe?

people who are unhappy with their body image when there's actually reason to be unhappy and they're not creating a distorted view, imo that's not BDD and i get annoyed when people think it is. it's not, they're just unhappy with reality, they're not creating a false reality.

it skews the condition for people with actual BDD, which angers me to be quite honest because they put they put their bodies through extremes while the people who don't suffer actual BDD don't, yet they think they suffer the same pitfalls.