View Single Post
Old 29th June 2015, 12:02
Banned at own request

Default Re: Input for Mental Health Curriculum Project

I never suffered at school so the main thing that would have been useful would be a way to recognise when things aren't quite right in the future and feeling there is somebody to talk to or at least info to read up on. This seems so much better now than when I was at school. The thought of discussing thoughts and feelings or my mental state with the school nurse just wouldn't cross my mind.

I never had issues with panic attacks myself but knew a few people that did, as they are quite easily recognised anxiety reduction when you spot a panic attack coming could be useful to teach, it would help others be more understanding too.

As my issues would have been unlikely to be recognised at school age I don't really have any more suggestions. As an over thinker I do feel it better not to give people too many things that may be wrong with them, I didnt think at all about my health when I was at school age though. Most of my significant "total failure" periods have been after discovering about SA, I think I may have achieved a lot less if I was starting to wonder about it in my earlier years.

Just my personal take, anybody clearly going through it during school should get support and advice. Anybody with tendencies like I had at that age, well it may not be so clear cut. But having an idea where to find out if I needed to would have been useful.

I always used to joke about emotions and the best thing to do is bottle them up deep inside until they force their way out as a stroke or tumour. All boys were taught to bottle everything up. Some ended up nutjobs like me, and some ended up having fits of rage and getting in fights or going off the rails. There must be a better way without one of those awful "lets go around the class and everybody point out an emotion" type things.