View Single Post
Old 26th February 2011, 16:14

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: "I did such and such and got better afterwards, therefore such and such works"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrrrrp
statistics? I'd be perfectly happy with someone posting a link like this to support a claim that, e.g. exercise is good for depression
A link is all well and good if it's posted, but a lack of a link does not invalidate a poster's experience of what helped them personally.

I just don't see the problem here. Why do people need to ''refine their ideas?'' They are posting about what helped them. Why does that need ''refining?'' I just cannot see the good it does to be critical of people offering up their experiences to others.

People here are in the process of trying to live more productive lives, not writing the definitive 'Get out of SA' book including research statistics and comprehensive bibliography. Maybe you are expecting just a little too much of posters. Why not do what I suspect most people here do when someone recommends something that resonates with them, namely google it to look into it further. Maybe SAUK is a sort of gateway to ideas, rather than the font of all knowledge.

Personally, I think we need to be encouraging people to relate what helps them, rather than discouraging them by in some way suggesting that unless they back up everything they say with statistical evidence their input is inferior.