View Single Post
Old 6th December 2018, 23:45

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Did you grow up in a dysfunctional family?

My parents are super-over-protective and mollycoddle & always have. That's been a factor for having social anxiety.

My mother has always been ultra hyper-protective; didn't let me out of my gates until I was 12, didn't let me walk home from school until I was 16. Can you believe that? My mother could be described as a 'smother' mother; doing everything for me.

My parents have always been in their own bubble and 'out of touch' with what's normal. They've never gone out and mixed with other people/ What's more, I even suspect the relationship between me and my mother is 'co-dependent' because she's got & has historically had nothing better to do or no other sense of purpose but to molly-coddle me & do everything for me. Now every parent loves their kids and wants the best for them. But when it goes to the point that they're not getting the opportunity to learn life skills, that's when it goes too far.

What's dangerous about over-protective parents is that on the surface it can appear loving (which it is) but the downsides & how living with them could ****-up your ability to stand on your own two feet can be INCREDIBLY HARD to describe.

There's the fear that if I say this they may think they've done a bad job at raising me.