View Single Post
Old 5th April 2010, 19:54

Default Re: Helping the housebound / SA Charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2
I don't know really. Just learning how to act in social situations, how to have conversations etc. I don't really know because I haven't learnt it. What I think would be good, but probably very difficult to organise, is some sort of meetings where people could be helped to learn these things without fear of judgement or criticism. An environment where people are under no pressure to do things that they are uncomfortable with, and where you will not be labelled cold and anti-social if you don't seem very friendly or talkative. I'm really not sure how anything like this could be organised, where it would take place or anything like that.
I'm not being flippant but sa uk meets are like that for me. I can go and not say anything and no one judges me.

As I've said before with any of my meets you are welcome to come along and just be a fly on the wall and not say a word.

But yes I do see what you mean about social skills, if you haven't learnt them the normal way through interaction and practice and generally messing around with friends throughout your childhood then it has to be learnt. I didn't have any friends growing up so I was in the same situation.

How to teach basic social skills is a bit of an odd one thought, you're right it's hard to think how we could help others. The problem is also that there are very few 'rules' and teaching someone how to behave is just wrong, as it may go against their personality.

Argh this is difficult!!