View Single Post
Old 24th July 2013, 16:08

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Re: How has SAUK helped you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I could go to meets, but, again, my SA and crippling sense of shame get in the way. If I went to a meet I would just sit there in silence, unable to contribute to any discussion, only serving to make the people around me feel uncomfortable. I kind of get the impression that a lot of the regulars here have known each other for years and are really closeknit, so trying to establish a place for myself in the group would be hard enough even without my handicaps.
Why not? That's exactly what I did at my first meet. I sat in virtual silence for about 6 hours hating every minute of it. No attempt in trying to get me to communicate worked despite some very nice people trying. To give you some perspective I knew no one before I went and it was in a busy pub in central London. There were around 40 people that attended that meet, far bigger than most meets these days.

But for some reason even after that ordeal I went to another, and another. And each time it improved slightly. Years later and I have been to over a hundred. They helped me more than anything else to do with this forum.