View Single Post
Old 15th October 2021, 09:44

Default Re: What do you like about yourself?

I've already contributed a comedic answer to this thread, but I should offer a serious one too - the problem is that, although there are many things I like about myself (these days - it wasn't always so), I am hesitant about expressing them "out loud" to others; I do think that modesty is a virtue - and one which, by the end of this post, most who read it will think I don't possess! Anyway, here goes:

I am resilient and persistent (stubborn?!): I don't think I would have survived this long, or managed to change my life in recent years, otherwise.
I am self-sufficient, self-motivated, driven (obsessive?!) and independent: perhaps it stems from the lack of peer acceptance in my younger years, but I've been able to make decisions and act on them alone - I've never let solitude hold me back and I don't rely on external validation (although I do welcome it).
I'm caring, empathetic and try to help others whenever I can.
I'm loyal, loving and forgiving.
I'm open (although I have managed to suppress my tendency to overshare) and honest (but tactful).
I will stand up for what I believe is right.
I try to listen to the perspectives of others and am aware that truth is not absolute, but subjective.
My social skills are improving and for the first time in my life, I am able to put people at ease (after a lifetime of making people uncomfortable), I'm a good listener and I know when to start and stop talking (after a lifetime of either being silent or launching into endless monologues); I am able to read and respond to non-verbal cues (most of the time).
I have been able to put my past behind me, live in the present and look to the future.
I am optimistic.
I have a good sense of humour (although often too dry for some) and a quick wit.
I'm intelligent (although I don't feel it, this is external validation at work - to me, I'm of average intelligence) and like to think that I am self-aware.
I am very good at budgeting, which is how I am able to do so much on my income.
I know when to stop writing lists of my qualities (clearly untrue, otherwise this list would be half this length).