View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2024, 01:48

Default Coffee shops - do you prefer independents or chains?

I read a book one time about coffee shops where some of the respondents said they felt the indie coffee shops were a bit hipster and exclusive and they actually felt more comfortable in a Costas or a supermarket cafe. I can see how some people like the anonymity of a Costas, once in a while I go to the one in the main train station and enjoy the peoplewatching.

At the same time I used to enjoy a neighbourhood cafe mainly because it was just a short walk away. It has now closed as a cafe and repurposed itself as a venue for small gigs and workshops. But I felt a bit ambivalent about the personal service aspect, them greeting me by name each time and asking about my hobby (watching American football online). In my case I was always worried about being poorly sometime I visited there and saying something stupid which I would regret when I was more stable.

Which do you prefer - anonymous big chain coffee shop, independent cafe with personal service, or saving money and always having coffee at home?