View Single Post
Old 26th February 2011, 08:08

Default Re: "I did such and such and got better afterwards, therefore such and such works"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrrrrp
What have you tried that has little or no objective evidence behind it, if you don't mind me asking?
Some things I've tried (some with more or less evidence): psychotherapy, self-hypnosis, cbt, yoga, exercising, eating healthy (researching about neurochemistry and nutrition), exposure therapy, hypnotherapy tapes, meditation, keeping a journal, breathing exercises, writing and following schedules and to do lists, going for first thing in the morning walks, attending meets, taking care of my appearance, writing lists of things that make me happy, listening to relaxing music when going to sleep, binaural beats, using a more positive vocabulary, acting, write positive thoughts on posted notes and stick them around the house, etc. All of which helped me btw.

Of course I'm not going to try every little obscure thing people say blindly, just what makes sense to me. Everything I've tried has had some evidence behind it. But if you research about most things, you'll find that people never agree - it worked for some and didn't work for others. There's never ultimate evidence that something works. So what qualifies as evidence to you? What would you consider worth trying?