View Single Post
Old 15th April 2024, 01:51

Default Re: How does your depression feel like?

Are you talking about someone saying "I feel depressed today", or someone actually suffering with depression? If it's the latter, the sufferer may not be aware that they have depression until somehow they can begin to lift it, or they are diagnosed with it. Long-term sufferers who have depression in bouts may, however, be able to recognise the symptoms when it returns.

When I suffered with depression, I would have periods of time (days, weeks or months) where I lost interest in everything and during which, even the smallest thing was too much effort. Others may have seen me post these words here previously, but navigating life was like wading through treacle in a thick fog. I became totally detached from the world and from myself. I was neither sad, nor happy, more a kind of melancholy numb. If I were laying in bed (which I would do all day, except to eat and answer nature's call) and the ceiling collapsed, I'd probably have carried on lying there amid the fallen plaster.

I don't think I ate more when depressed, but I probably - well, definitely - had a less healthy diet. I'd fill the freezer (so I didn't have to shop) with "easy" foods (pies, pasties, pizza etc.) and eating was just about quelling hunger (in normal times, flavour and variety are important to me, but during those times, I'd eat whatever was easiest to prepare, perhaps the same thing every day for a week).

I would have bouts of agoraphobia and when I first found SAUK (February 2013), I was four months into a bout which was to last almost three years. When I was able to overcome it, I made a point of walking three times daily, so I do recommend walking and being outside (fortunately for me, where I lived at the time was semi-rural, with a choice of gladed trails).
Tbc - Tapatalk character limit

Sent from my 23021RAA2Y using Tapatalk