View Single Post
Old 16th May 2019, 21:33

Default Re: Social anxiety and driving

Yeah, I was totally the same, and still am, up to a point. I still hate driving to new places (unless my sister is in the car with me, navigating.) I basically had to get over it when I was driving to work every day, eventually I stopped caring as much. But my driving anxiety tends to come back if I stop driving. I mostly have parking anxiety now. I can't park for shit when I'm tired. I sometimes worry someone is filming me for one of those 'girls fail at parking' videos.

I also did the P plates for two years, but I think that was a mistake. I honestly think it gave some people carte blanche to be dicks. Also sometimes people would be 'nice' by letting me go when it wasn't my turn, and that sort of think just confuses me - just follow the rules people. Once I took them off, I got far less negative and positive attention. Probably driving an old banger around didn't help. Plus it attracted car loads of teenage boys looking in to see who I was and check me out - hilarious since I was in my 30s! Everyone learns at 17 here, it seems.