View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:09

Default Re: The Autism and Asperger's Thread

^ Yeah, it was a good programme for people who don't know very much about Autism and how it can affect (effect?) people in such different ways. In paddy's case it definitely appeared that there was a very strong genetic element as all 3 children had Autism, to a greater or lesser extent, and his wife Christine was eventually diagnosed with Autism too. It was interesting how their twins seemed to be affected (effected!) differently in that the boy's symptoms were outwardly more pronounced than his twin sisters. This is where the fact that girls tend to be better at 'masking' their symptoms came in, something I hadn't previously known much about.

I particularly remember all the fear surrounding the MMR vaccines and parents worrying that it might cause Autism in children because it was the time when my son needed his jabs. I figured that the chances of MMR causing Autism was far smaller than the chance of catching measles, etc, which can be so dangerous in young children so I bit the bullet and he had all his jabs. Lots of parents didn't though. Of course, it's since been proven that the MMR jabs were absolutely fine and didn't cause Autism.