View Single Post
Old 19th February 2020, 15:18

Default Re: You know you're getting old when..

I'm not yet 30 so I'm probably not supposed to be in this thread, but lately I've sometimes found myself thinking "****ing kids" when teenagers are walking while staring at their phones and getting in my way or riding past on their bikes doing wheelies.

I don't watch the Brit Awards because I find awards ceremonies quite boring, but I do like quite a few of this year's nominees (FKA Twigs, Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish, Lizzo, Michael Kiwanuka, Mahalia, Charli XCX and Tyler, the Creator). I think a lot of (actually probably even most) people give up on music when they're in their teens or early 20s, then spend the rest of their lives listening to the same limited selection of bands/artists on repeat. That's probably why an event like the Brits can make some people feel the passage of time. There's equally good music released every year though and a continuous stream of new things to enjoy and get excited about (not just the stuff represented at the Brits). Most people seem to convince themselves "It's not as good as it used to be" purely because they listen to music for nostalgia purposes and new music doesn't remind them of their youth.

I don't understand why people like Tom Jones, Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart were there though. Surely 99% of the viewers haven't even heard of them.