View Single Post
Old 11th September 2018, 14:57
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Even people with high verbal intelligence can have difficulties

While still living in Essex I was assessed for ESA. The supporting letter from a junior psychiatrist said I had "Limited ability to live independently in the community" Did I get much support? No. No CPN . No social worker. Just fortnightly injections and a 6 monthly appointment with the nurse practitioner.

I moved here nearly a year ago. Very quickly my stepdaughter emphasised that I needed social support. Would my current trust have done anything without my stepdaughter pushing for it ? Almost certainly ,no. As it is I now get 3 hours support from a care agency towards keeping my flat tidy and shopping. If I pressed for help with social activities I'd probably get more but would probably have to start paying.

Here in Wiltshire everyone is given a care plan and a care coordinator unlike in Essex(Mine is my regular depot nurse) . My care plan says the support is to enable me to continue living independently.

I also get a lot of support from my stepdaughter and granddaughters now I'm living near them. It seems that family often have to take up the slack re the lack of support from mental health and social services. Of course it all depends if you have family able and willing to do that.

Services very much focus on acute cases(Danger to self or others, alcohol or drug addiction) . If you are none of those things and are coping but barely that's seen as being good enough to put you on autopilot/the back of the filing cabinet for help and support. This is despite the fact that those who are non acute ,but functioning inadequately, are less likely to have good periods than someone who has an acute episode punctuated by periods of good functioning.