View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:55

Mood
Grumpy

Default How bad is your social anxiety?

As the title says.

I'm generally curious. I've known people who are shy - but no one seems to be anywhere near my level (and I don't mean to sound like a precious little snow flake).

I'm 27 years old. I've only had one job years ago when I was 23 (which I got because my Mum who is my best friend landed me the job, and I only managed to keep it for all of one year because I had really up and down days).

When I was at secondary school, I got the grades to get into uni back into the days, but I failed abysmally because I couldn't attend seminars (small groups) whereas I found lectures somewhat easier (one person in a hundred - so the chance of being put on the spot was small). I failed the first year at uni - but it was good at the same time because it was the very first time where I saw a counselor who actually diagnosed me with social anxiety and put me on Citalopram. I was even fortunate to get back in touch with that same uni for a chance to go back for a second time - but that inevitably went wrong on the social front (with people in my halls of residence), and thus messed everything else up. Here I am, in the latter part of my twenties. All I can say as a positive to my name is that I achieved my driver's license (which I got aged 26), and I attended many seminars in order to get it (I've lived in Norway for the last two years).

I have really bad social anxiety. I can't do things like visit shops or go on public transport unless I have someone with me (e.g. my mother) first as a kind of reconnaissance mission - after I've done it a few times, I can mostly do it...unless something goes wrong and someone points me out and talks to me...

I'm just wondering if anyone else has it this bad - not that I hope that anyone goes through what I do. Just a kind of strength in numbers kinda thing! And we should all have a party!

I don't know...