View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 18:10
Banned (at own request)

Default Re: The Great Relationship Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
I know you're not asking me, and I know people don't like this idea, but - I really don't think it's that simple. Zayed is right there will always be people prettier than us and there is no point figuring out where we are on that ladder and obsessing (not saying you do this AL, these are just general comments). The other point is that the ladder doesn't exist if you choose not to believe in it because it's only a generalisation and a preference. Not everyone sticks to their preferences in the face of other preferences...I'll try and explain.

Classical beauty might be objective (if you accept the ideas about symmetrical faces being nicer and all that) but what about a more general definition of beauty that includes more than just appearances (e.g. includes personality, includes context, includes personal idiosyncracies). The cynical ones amongst you will be laughing but I've noticed that people who are very confident about their appearance think in this way. We (and yes I include myself in that group) see beauty in things that appeal to us speifically MORE than things that fit stereotypical norms like full lips, bug eyes and long soft hair (but those things are nice too ). Suddenly my crooked nose becomes beautiful to me because it reminds me of an Egyptian princess and it is uniquely me. Suddenly a stereotypically average or even ugly looking friend becomes beautiful when I realise what a warm, caring person he is towards me. Suddenly that doctor who was so nice to you when you revealed your SA becomes beautiful in your eyes because she treated you with respect.

And likewise, even when I meet stunningly good looking people who have something very nasty in their souls I feel physically repulsed when I look at them. It's as if I've reprogrammed my brain to find more than aesthetics attractive. I hope I've explained it right because if I haven't it comes out like wishy washy clap trap bullshit.

So you might not be able to change your actual looks or position on the' ladder', but you can work on your attractiveness level because SA really drags that down sometimes, and a litle confidence will boost it.
Wow, that was a good post, my thoughts exactly.

PS I'm in your group, I'm not stunning but have a bit of confidence even though my life is a mess. However, I have some good people in it, that is the crux of what matters to me. Art is a hobby/interest that brings me pleasure, that's all.