View Single Post
Old 27th February 2008, 00:00

Default Re: The drugs don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsome
...I think there's a danger that in light of these findings people will just stop taking their drugs and will have horrible side effects. It is important to discuss with your doctor coming off drugs and to do it gradually to lessen the side-effects. I've heard of people having horrible side-effects even when coming off gradually. I think the fear of side-effects is what will keep me taking the pills...
I heard a doctor expressing those same concerns today, winsome. Hopefully, those who do decide to come off meds after reading this story today will consult their GP's and do so in the correct manner in order to hopefully minimise any potential withdrawal problems.

UPDATE 27/2/08: I've just been reading Dr Miriam Stoppard and she points out that mixed evidence for SSRI's may have another possible explanation. This being that research in the US has found that genetic factors may play a part and see some patients responding to SSRI's and others not. So some people are more genetically receptive to these meds than others.