View Single Post
Old 10th April 2021, 03:36

Default Re: How are you feeling physically?

@ Limey - Aw thank you so much for your kind words

After saying that I didn't want to see a Doctor about the leg pains I've been suffering with I can now report, thanks to my husband, that I will be having a phone consultation with my GP next week.
I know it's not right to be taking painkillers every day and I need to at least give the Doctor a chance to attempt to investigate what the problem could be. Apart from worrying about being fobbed off as a neurotic hypochondriac I guess there's a big part of me that is afraid that I may have something serious. I've been Googling about clogged arteries. It's never a good time to have health issues, but with my mum so poorly I really could do without my own stupid body playing up.

@ Nanuq - I can see that you understand exactly where I am coming from regarding seeing my GP...
I wouldn't say I'm socially anxious at all about seeing the GP but I'm extremely apprehensive about once again being dismissed as a neurotic middle aged woman. There's nothing worse than being told that your symptoms are all in your head, or that they're just down to your age.

When I previously went to the Doctors about PMT problems the young female GP more or less told me that I just need to get used to it and that it would all go away once I reached 55!! And yes, she was that specific! Whether she was right remains to be seen. I also had to go Private for someone to finally find out that I had a ruddy great ulcer down my throat after several GP's refused to take it seriously. As you know only too well, Nanuq, such dismissive treatment leaves you feeling totally crushed and humiliated.

My heart always sinks when the GP looks at the computer screen and notes that I suffer with anxiety and depression because I know from then on anything I say will be fobbed off as anxiety related. If you have mental health issues AND are also a woman of a certain age it feels impossible to be taken seriously.

Btw, good luck with that ECG monitor Nanuq
You've been through absolute hell, so I'm so glad that your long covid issues are finally being taken seriously

@ Dougella - thank you for your advice
Yes, going privately, as I have in the past, is worth considering although to be honest there's a limit to the amount of money that I can keep forking out. I'm guessing some people might try to get a diagnosis privately and then return to the NHS for whatever treatment they might need

@ Choirgirl - Thank you
I actually took my husband with me when I was suffering with PMT problems as I knew I'd be fobbed off as neurotic but this is actually the occasion when the GP told me that I just needed to get used to it. My husband was as gobsmacked as me. I was glad that he heard it all with his own ears though because I'm not sure he'd have quite believed how rude and dismissive the GP was otherwise.

@ Biscuits - I'm glad that you have a lovely GP. I think finding one is like coming across gold-dust.
Unfortunately my Surgery is so horrendously bad that it's been threatened with closure if it doesn't improve. Sadly others around about aren't that great either so I think there's no other choice but to up sticks and come and live with you. I hope you have room for 4 cats

@ Counterpoint - I completely agree with you. Like you say, we don't realise quite how much we potter around in 'normal' times until we are stuck at home. I do wonder if the lack of activity has played a part in my leg problems. I occasionally go for a 4 mile walk but then go for days not leaving the house. Exercising a little but daily would probably be a far healthier way of going about things.

@ hellotiger - I hope your migraine has buggered off

@ Toxic - I hope you receive some information soon because you've been waiting far too long
Good luck with the beta-blockers. Do they actually help?