View Single Post
Old 26th December 2019, 16:36

Default Re: Do you find it hard to motivate yourself now you are older?

I'm coming a little late to this thread, as I've only just found it, but have to say that Consolida's second post here was a joy to read (I must find out who this inspirational person is, the one who started living in his 50s!). I agree with everything she says, we cannot let our (perceived) failures of the past stop us trying to build a better future.

I find it easier to motivate myself as I get older - well, in some things (mundane things, like housework, I find myself less motivated)! Perhaps it's the sense that I may be running out of time and it's now or never, but in the past four years or so (I'm 58 now), I have begun moving towards living the life I have always wanted. I've made mistakes, some things have gone wrong (life does that, it has no respect of the plans we make), but in general things have been getting better and better.

I can't claim to be happy right now - I'm still licking my wounds after the recent breakup with the person I was hoping and expecting to spend the rest of my life with - but I know that I will be happy again, even though it is likely to be alone as I don't believe I could ever find anyone who is so perfect for me again. I plan to make 2020 my best year yet and then build on that. I reckon I have at least 20 more good years ahead of me and I intend to make the most of every one of them.