View Single Post
Old 10th August 2017, 11:29

Default Re: Body Dysmorphic Disorder

^^ what you've said makes sense to me to. My mum was an incredibly strong character and a total control freak and if you didn't agree with her she made it pretty clear that you were clearly wrong and needed to take a long hard look at yourself!!! I understand how she was the way she was. She had a very troubled childhood. I have a very negative set of core beliefs. I KNOW that she loved me, but she never let me be myself. She controlled who I was and wasn't friends with. I was never allowed to make a decision for myself and consequently I question everything I do now. I never feel good enough. I never feel right just being me because I believe that there's something wrong with the me that I want to be. She interfered with every aspect of my life - she once insisted a boyfriend should come round for dinner on his birthday even though he didn't want to, because she had cooked for him, even though she hadn't been asked to!!! I felt so small ringing him saying 'you have to come because mums cooked for you!' Pretty much everyone she encountered knew that we all had to ask 'how high?' When she said Jump!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my mum totally. She died 10 years ago far to young and I miss her every single day but I would be lying if I said I didn't attribute most of my anxiety problems to her. Sounds pathetic, because as an adult I could have stood up to her but I've always been a non confrontational person and I absolutely hate arguments. I've been a doormat to a few people in my life and I'm only now just beginning to learn to assert myself. So yeah, core beliefs. You're entirely right. My core belief is that I'm irritating and insignificant.

Totally agree with what you've said about BDD as well. It's all to do with the persons perception of themselves regardless of the reality.