View Single Post
Old 7th March 2012, 18:58

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Married or in a relationship? You don't have SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-moving-lines
If OP is saying that a) male, b) heterosexuals with c) severe social anxiety won’t have much of a love life, that’s probably true around 80 % of the time, and cursory observations of this site seem to support that.

That's not what the OP is saying though. He's saying that if you are in that 20% that don't fit in with that stereotype then you don't have SA. No doubt those generalisms are fairly true, but they are generalisms.

But the problem is how the OP sees things which is well illustrated by his phrasing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Put simply, if you can approach women, the world is you oyster, so to speak.
So for him the world would be his oyster if he could approach women. I guess that means he doesn't struggle with making friends, public speaking, interviews, agoraphobia, public transport, working e.t.c. Does he really have SA?

Also plenty of non-SA'ers struggle to approach women, so if the only criteria was being able to approach romantic interests then a lot more people would qualify to be SA. I bet there are some SA'ers who see people posting and think 'They can't have SA if they are posting on a forum!' I could understand why they might think that as it took me 6 months to make my first post after joining.

I think the problem here is a skewed perception of what it is to be SA and failing to understand how it affects others differently. Kind of eye opening really when we may sometimes wonder why non-SA'ers don't seem to understand SA.