SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th March 2017, 10:49

Default 'Reactions'

On another forum they have implemented this new thing at the end of a post you got a 'agree', 'love'(the post), 'funny'.
Just wondered any good on SA forums.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:52
Co-Administrator

Default Re: 'Reactions'

Sounds far too similar to Facebook to me. And for people with SA, there's the potential to get pretty despondent when a post of yours doesn't get a 'like'.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:04

i don't agree, on these other forums I'm on lots of posts don't get 'liked'. But it's a clever system because it's accounting for 'silent people', people who don't want to post but like the post. Like just now a post up in Sauk room Dylan wrote good reply to someone, I had nothing to post to that and would have quite liked a 'like' button or something. I guess cynicalism is going to be there unless you've tried it. Daft sort of mind-predicting how it will be taken.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:06

Anyway just an idea if there is ever upgrades to the software. Could be a neat feature, but you never know these things till you try them.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:09
Co-Administrator

I think it has the positive of allowing more quieter members or those who don't often post to contribute actively in some way. But I don't see any other positives beyond that.

It just sounds a bit like going down the Facebook route. I think it will affect people negatively if they don't get any 'likes' or less 'likes' than other members. Sounds too much like a popularity contest, one of the reasons I dislike Facebook.

On the other forums you use where this has been used, are they mental health forums?
Old 12th March 2017, 11:14

i disagree with you, but then Facebook has never bothered me so I don't understand that so much.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon
On another forum they have implemented this new thing at the end of a post you got a 'agree', 'love'(the post), 'funny'.
Just wondered any good on SA forums.
I like this system everywhere I see it. There are particular drawbacks here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Lily
It just sounds a bit like going down the Facebook route. I think it will affect people negatively if they don't get any 'likes' or less 'likes' than other members. Sounds too much like a popularity contest, one of the reasons I dislike Facebook.
Yeah, it'd turn ugly if we could see reactions to everyone's posts, but it'd be good if we could only see reactions to our own posts. That's not standard behaviour for a plugin like that, but it's probably doable.
Old 12th March 2017, 13:30

Quote:
i don't agree, on these other forums I'm on lots of posts don't get 'liked'.
You've missed the point. It might not bother you, but lots of people would be badly affected by not getting likes.

I'm much too much of a 'like counter' myself.
Old 12th March 2017, 13:52

It's a nice idea, but it would probably do more harm than good on 'ere.

Imagine if someone made a unkind comment, or a vague dig at someone and other people liked it. That would be awful.
Old 12th March 2017, 14:11
Global Moderator

Mood
Asleep

I've often found myself reading a good post on here and my finger goes looking for the like button.
It would definitely open the forum up to those who just wish to show their appreciation for a particular post but feel that they don't have anything to add in the form of a reply.

I think that ultimately it would be a counterproductive addition on a SA forum because of the fact that some posts would receive no likes and the 'poster' may interpret that as personal slur. (Something I am prone to do myself)
Old 12th March 2017, 14:31
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Yeah, it'd turn ugly if we could see reactions to everyone's posts, but it'd be good if we could only see reactions to our own posts. That's not standard behaviour for a plugin like that, but it's probably doable.
This would definitely be preferable, although it could still have negative connotations for some users who see that their own posts have had no 'reactions'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Imagine if someone made a unkind comment, or a vague dig at someone and other people liked it. That would be awful.
I hadn't thought of that, that's a good point.
Old 12th March 2017, 15:09

Mood
Lurking

On a forum such as this I'm not sure it's a good idea in practice.
SA itself is so deeply rooted into approval/disapproval and the desire (conscious or not) for external validation. With this in mind, such a facility could open a can of worms for plenty of site users and the site itself.

Plenty of likes could collude with the need for external approval, and a lack of likes could collude with the feeling that the person is not interesting enough and their thoughts and opinions are not valued by others.

It just seems to me that on a forum dedicated to people who fear open judgement, having a facility where people can basically judge everything they are saying might not be so wise. It might scare a few people off the site who may have used it otherwise.

I know, life is a tough arena and judgement is all around us whether we like it or not. We all have to learn how to deal with this fact. But still...
Old 12th March 2017, 18:08

Some of the reactions a bit daft. Kind of like we were discussing an addition of a signature function for the first time, and someone will 'what-if!' someone puts in something rude in their signature! Oh ok we'll shelve that idea. You see my point?
But I'm just suggesting it, I think one idea to counter people's concerns is keeping it to the SA room or something.
Agree also with Charlotte about if there was a potential to trial it, it could be interesting then. Although being something new people will come out with their fingers in a cross.
Old 12th March 2017, 19:21

There have been quite a few mentions on here about people feeling ignored and I think having a like button would exacerbate those feelings.

A lot of people would be upset if they have 0 likes on their post, but saw someone with a post above their post receiving 839038109 likes and the post below theirs having 2312313 likes. It would make it feel like a popularity contest.
Old 12th March 2017, 20:27

Could be good if restricted to say, the positivity room or SA room maybe, and was phrased more like 'useful post!' or 'thanks!' rather than Like or Good.

I just wonder if elsewhere it would be a good idea. If someone posts something suicidal or self-critical and someone likes it , for example. The clique/popularity threads which crop up show people are quite sensitive to the kind of issues it'd bring up. If peoples' tendancy to respond to 'popular' posters posts is upsetting, seeing that in hard numbers would probably be more so I assume.
Old 12th March 2017, 21:01
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Some of the reactions a bit daft.
I think it's a little unfair to say others views on this topic are a bit daft. They are not any less valid because they differ from your own view point.

In the past we have had huge problems with heated discussions/arguments around people being ignored, cliques, who is popular and who isn't. To add what you're suggesting to this forum, I feel, would dredge all of that up again and exacerbate feelings of being left out, ignored, deemed as unpopular or unwelcome.

It may not bother you if you had no 'reactions' to your posts but for others it would, and it would matter a great deal.
Old 12th March 2017, 21:13

Mood
Lurking

^
I have to agree with you there.

I also thought it a bit unfair and ironic to criticise people for their reactions to this topic. I've just seen reasoned opinion and certainly not anything "daft".

Given the nature of this site I just think a facility like this would create far more problems than it solves. Just my opinion, of course.
Personally, it wouldn't affect me. I'm not bothered if I got 100 likes or no likes. But it's taken me half a lifetime to get to this point. I know for certain it would upset plenty of people though. I just wonder if it's worth it?

As Tiger Lily has alluded to; I think it could further fuel the fires of issues and resentments that have always simmered just under the surface here.
Old 12th March 2017, 22:03

You've intepreted the 'daft' sentiment far worse than it is. The reaction to this is 'the sky wil lfall if this implemented', and a lot of excess sensitivity not grounded in fact, or reality, it's prophesizing.
I think there would be no real problem to it, or I would be prepared to see how it would fare than try and guess. Only thing I would say is it would be very inappropiate on the 'how are you feeling thread'.
It does not bother me if this is implemented or not, but I believe it is a good idea. I do not necessarily agree with the wave of sensitivity.
Old 12th March 2017, 22:30

I apologise for any offense, I've had coffee so I'm a bit more detached with my viewpoints. (when I'd had coffee I'm usually in controversial discussion on at least 3 forums :D ) But I am saying it how I see it, and I believe that to be accurate.
Old 13th March 2017, 00:28

Mood
Lurking

Can't speak for anyone else, but you've not offended me in any way.
We just have a different take on it really.
There will always be people for and against this kind of thing on a mental health site.

I'm not a mod and I've never run a mental health site but I could understand them being cautious about using a facility like this. Over the years there has been so many arguments about popularity and cliques. It's a no-brainer that at some point the amount of likes certain people may or may not get would be used to 'prove' a point in that particular debate.

As I said though, this is just my opinion. Everyone is free to disagree.
Old 13th March 2017, 00:38

I suppose I would agree sa forum is unlike any other forum any of us been on most likely.