SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th September 2017, 11:59

Mood
Bashful

Default Introducing myself

Hi,
I have just joined and this is my first post, so here goes...
I am 48 years old and for as long as I can remember have felt as if I don't really fit in a social context. I have struggled to make or maintain friendships, interact in social settings (particularly large groups of people) and feel as if my opinions and feelings are of no consequence to others and therefore find conversation difficult. I was bullied as a child (not physically but the mental scars are still with me) and therefore find it very difficult to trust people, even now.
I am also (I now recognise) extremely introvert which means that 'forcing' myself to be sociable when I don't feel like it is exhausting! However, I have come to love my introversion and see it's positives, although it does mean making friends is an uphill struggle for me.
Despite this I have one very important relationship in my life - my husband and best friend and for that I am very thankful. However, I am lonely at times and feel I am missing out in life because of my own anxieties and insecurities. I find sharing on a personal level very difficult and so even writing this much feels as if I am exposing my inner self, but from what I have seen and read on this forum all of the comments are caring and positive and it would be nice to be part of that.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:22
Banned at own request

Default Re: Introducing myself

Hey Lunar Welcome.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:59

Mood
Paranoid

Hi Lunar. Welcome to the forum. I can relate to some of what you have written. This forum has been a help to me and I'm hoping you will find the same!
Old 5th September 2017, 13:09
Co-Administrator

Welcome to the forum
Old 5th September 2017, 17:25

Mood
Sleepy

Welcome Lunar
Old 5th September 2017, 20:15

Mood
Happy

Hi and welcome lunar. I am 47 and somehow I thought I would have "grown out" of my SA years ago, obviously not! (there's always room for improvement though so I don't believe in giving up).

I am glad that you have the support of your husband and I hope that SA UK proves to be a supportive place for you as well. I think the main thing is to have self-compassion, maybe we are not as talkative or outgoing as we would wish, but that doesn't mean we are bad people.