SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th August 2017, 07:38
Banned at own request

Default Re: now you are 30+, what are your tastes in movies?

Spanish and Italian are very similar, so in my experience learning one actually facilitates learning the other. That said, it's good to focus on one as your primary interest. You need to be passionate and devoted to learn a new language, and when it gets hard that's when we have to keep going. I found a nice Italian teacher via Skype but I would always recommend joining a regular class. Skype puts a lot of pressure on you to continually talk, which may be a good thing, but it also means you don't have the opportunity to listen to others as well. There are really no better alternatives to learning with other people. We shouldn't use any social anxieties as an excuse to avoid this because it will hinder our progress. If I could go back in time I'd work a lot harder and not always look for the quick and easy way in order to minimize anxiety and the pain of learning!!

That Italian film festival sounds great, even if its small it's better than nothing. French cinema always seems to get more exposure, but I actually think in terms of style Italian films can have more in common with British films. They like their realism, as do we, and they did lots of light-hearted sex comedies in the 70s, all very similar to British ones!
Old 7th September 2017, 05:17

I haven't watched anything in years, I've lost all interest in it.
Old 7th September 2017, 05:33

^well they say there's only seven different stories, so I must have seen all of them by now. But yeah, the constant "rebooting" of franchises that don't need it is part of it; Hollywood is creatively banckrupt. But mainly I just have little enthusiasm for being emotionally manipulated by imaginary events any more.